Question about Bloatware removal

dez

Reaction score
I just recently removed city i.d, skype, blockbuster, kindle, ect from my phone, now when theres an over the air update it won't affect my phone in any way since i removed those will it? Just wanted to make complete sure.

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Nope u'll be fine I know some updates like htc or whatever give u more bloatware like my ex has an incredible and when she got an update from verizon she got more pointless apps which needed to be removed again

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I had to reflash the stock SBF when I removed those apps from my phone. OTA didn't work. There are a ton of threads on it.

turdbogls

Reaction score
if you straight up deleted the apps through root explorer or titanium backup, you are going to have to SBF.

if you renamed the files, you can rename them again to the original name and you will be ok

if you froze the apps with titanium backup, just unfreeze them before the OTA and you will be ok.

if you made a nandroid backup before deleting anything (like you should have) just restore the backup before taking the OTA and you will be ok

Moto requires you to have all the original system apps (which is what you deleted) installed before it will install an OTA. it will download just fine, but will fail when it tries to install. your phone will be OK, it just wont update until the file reads that all those apps are back in the system/app folder.

i learned this the hard way before taking the latest OTA.