Question about benefits of rooting

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Ecco, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Ecco

Ecco New Member

Ok, I'm considering rooting my Droid X which is running 2.2.1. Right now one of the major reasons I'm considering it is to be able to freeze the apps that Verizon permanently installs on the phone which I don't use. I want to do this to free up memory because according to the droid system info app they are always running and using up memory. However, from what I understand, the Android OS is supposed to automatically free up memory when it is needed by an app, so I'm unsure if freezing apps to have more memory available regardless of android's memory management will actually make any real difference in the performance of my phone. I also wonder if doing this will help with battery life any.
  2. Ecco

Ecco New Member

Did some more digging and answered my own question, going to try rooting now, wish me luck. :)
  3. kingsway8605

kingsway8605 New Member

Careful. Moto makes it very easy to brick to discourage rooting because too many people brick their phones (circular logic much?). The brick isn't irreversible, but you may end up having to flash 2-3 separate sbfs in a particular order to get the phone working again.

Before you touch anything on the droid x know how to make a backup, know how to use an sbf, know what version of the bootloader you have, and know what "bloat" can't be removed without blocking future updates or bricking.

Rooting is a must on the droid x to remove all that crap though.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Search tags for this page

advantages of rooting lg revolution