Question about battery use...

M

Matth3w

When it says that my leading cause of battery drain is WiFi, is it referring to WiFi simply being on, being used, or a combination of both?

I'm trying to figure out if my battery is draining just because I have it turned on or moreso because I am actually using it (downloading from the market, etc).

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
being on won't help. i kill mine if i'm not at home (the only place i use it)

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Could be that your wi-fi connection isn't stable so the Droid is constantly searching for it....
How's your connection? Strong? Do you lose connection?
I only turn on wi-fi when I'm using it. I tend to turn it off if not. If you're wi-fi is on and there isn't a wi-fi network your battery will drain faster while it constantly looks for a wi-fi connection.

OP
M

Matth3w

Yeah I've been at home there, where I use it.

Could be that your wi-fi connection isn't stable so the Droid is constantly searching for it....
I only turn on wi-fi when I'm using it. I tend to turn it off if not. If you're wi-fi is on and there isn't a wi-fi network your battery will drain faster while it constantly looks for a wi-fi connection.
Since I changed a couple of settings it's one bar from max signal (I sit right next to the router). I guess I could turn it on when I want to use something significant like the market or browser and keep it off otherwise.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah I've been at home there, where I use it.

Since I changed a couple of settings it's one bar from max signal (I sit right next to the router). I guess I could turn it on when I want to use something significant like the market or browser and keep it off otherwise.
This is what I do. Even though I have the wi-fi in the house I only turn it on on my Droid when I'm using it, I turn it off when I'm done. Kinda of anal, but it hasn't put a dent in my battery life.
I just leave the Beautiful Widgets wi-fi toggle on a home screen.

OP
M

Matth3w

I just use the system widget, I like it.

I'm debating rooting to use SetCPU but not sure if when you put it to 125mhz while sleeping if it's sluggish when it comes awake at first or if it is instantly fast again.

Also not sure if I need Screebl if I always re-lock my phone when done (never let the screen time out on its own) and constantly turn off BT and WiFi via a widget...

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
From what I've noticed as long as you're "connected" to a wi-fi network it doesn't really drain battery unless you're actively using it. I keep mine ON whenever I'm at home and at the office and I don't notice unusual battery drain. It should just be sending out an occasional ping/hand-shake to make sure it's in range (appears to be for me). I notice that when I first wake-up the device the wireless setting has to 'refresh' before it's usable by the browser.

Now, if you leave your network (i.e. leave the house) it will KILL your battery because it's constantly trying to find any/all wireless networks it can connect to.

Now it's likely we may have different apps installed (or a setting changed) that may constantly keep your wi-fi activated where as mine doesn't.

Just what I've observed, YEMD.