Question About Backing Up ROMs

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by johnsorrick, Dec 20, 2010.

1. johnsorrick

johnsorrick New Member

So I'm fairly new to having a rooted Droid and using different ROMs but I seem to be getting the hang of it. When I download and install a ROM (for example, I am running the newest Bugless Beast ROM), then install all of my own apps and configure settings, views, etc. When I use ROM Manager to backup the ROM, does it only back up stock apps/settings, or does it back up all of the ones I've installed as well?

I'm wondering for when I switch back and forth between different ROMs, I don't want to have to re-install and re-configure everything. Any advice would be appreciated... thank you.

John
  2. mtnbkrbob

mtnbkrbob New Member

im not an expert but i use sp recovery and when i chose evrything when making a nand back up it backs up EVERYTHING! so when i go to flash back to a previouse rom (aka back up) it sets everything back the the way it was when i made the back up. you can also make just a data back up then flash that after you flash a new rom and most of the time it will just install the data so your setting and apps and stuff like that will but alread done when you reboot. ive tried it even with the new gingerbread rom and it worked i didnt have to dl nothing.

hope this helps?

bob
  3. johnsorrick

johnsorrick New Member

Ok, like I said, I'm still new to this, but I have a couple of questions...

#1 How do you make a nandroid backup or is that what I'm doing when I backup my ROM through ROM Manager?

#2 What's the difference between flashing a new ROM and Installing a ROM from the SD card (which is the option I get through ROM Manager)?

Sorry if I sound like an idiot...
  4. corman324

corman324 New Member

1 - pretty sure its the same. if you really want to see the word NANDROID to feel more assured... boot into recovery (see explanation below), choose "nandroid" then choose "backup" and wait for it to finish then reboot system.

2 - theyre the same thing. when you flash a ROM, youre installing it.

in ROM Manager right above "Install ROM from SD Card" theres the option "Reboot into Recovery". if you choose to do it that way, it will take you to the recovery options: "nandroid", "Install zip from from SDCard", "reboot system now", blah blah blah. ROM Manager gives you the option to install ROM from SD Card and all the other stuff, just to save you a hastle and make it easier. even if you know ROM manager will be easier, you should learn to use the recovery menu because you may not always have ROM Manager to use due to a bug, or it doesnt show up or whatever problem you may run into.

if you install a ROM from sd card using recovery options:
    reboot into recovery > install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard > (choose the file for whatever ROM youre installing from the list) > select YES.. when its done installing, reboot.

nandroid using recovery menu:
    reboot into recovery > nandroid > backup/restore (whichever one youre doing) > if restoring, choose file from restore list (normally by date) if backing up, just wait for it to finish then reboot.

i have no idea if you know how yet, but just for an FYI, the button to choose things is the camera button, and the "back" button is the power button on top of the phone (youll need the back button to get to the reboot system option after installing a ROM). and obviously the scrolling buttons are the volume up/down on the right side.

kind of an extremely simple guide to recovery, but i hope that helps

p.s. - a good recovery app is QuickBoot free on the market. its simple and easy
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  5. adsfa34

adsfa34 New Member

Using ROM Manager to perform backup/installation functions can be a bit sketchy. Because of the scripts it uses and the different ways people can root their phones sometimes using ROM Manager for these functions can cause some pretty irritating issues like breaking your recovery.

I personally bypass ROM Manager and use ClockworkMod Recovery by itself. To access it directly, just power off your phone and power it on by pressing X + the power button until the "M" appears. (Also, lots of ROMs have a reboot recovery script or a directly selectable option in the power-off menu when you hold down the power button to power off your phone.) This is a much more stable method of backing up and flashing ROMs.

Also, downloads from ROM Manager can be broken/outdated/corrupted and can lead to faulty or failed installs, waisting a lot of time and bandwidth, and potentially causing significant problems in your ROM like lost data.

My best practice is as follows (for ClockworkMod Recovery):

- Find awesome new ROM
    - Download onto computer
    - Move to sdcard via usb
    - Verify app backups and launcherpro backups (if needed, update app backups and LP backups)
    - Use adb to pull /system and /data folders (totally unnecessary, but I like to do it in case I feel the need to replace a system app here or there or need to manually restore apps)
    - Boot into recovery (x+pwr)
    - Perform full nandroid backup (Nandroid>Backup)
    - Wipe data/cache 3 times
    - Install .zip from sdcard
    - Browse folders and select .zip and...
    - Reboot and ENJOY!

If you follow that, you should have very minimal problems. That way it'll help you figure out if any problems you're having is with the ROM or your installation or something else.

*For SPRecovery, just move the .zip to the root (/sdcard) of your sdcard and rename to update.zip and flash that way.
  6. mtnbkrbob

mtnbkrbob New Member

sorry here is a link that will help you find what all the lingo means. funny thing is i had to ask the same questions then i found this link. honestly i think everyone one this sit at onw time or another had to ask ?? but i could be wrong.
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/re...-dummies-guide-android-terminoligy-lingo.html
    read the link and you will be a smater man!

bob
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  7. adsfa34

adsfa34 New Member

Just noticed this -- please note that restoring system data from an advanced nandroid backup can cause severe instabilities in the new ROM.

The reason for this is with custom-built ROMs, the system & data structures are often very different from ROM to ROM. What can (and often does) happen is that the data that is flashed back (restored) is incompatible with the new ROM framework. Sometimes it's OK and takes weeks for you to notice the incompatibilities; sometimes it causes force-close hell from the first boot.

Just a heads up, so make sure to backup before you advanced nandroid your system back in case it causes the "FC hell" scenario. Restoring app data only using Titanium Backup will put you at about 80% restored imo and is muuuuch less likely to cause issues
  8. johnsorrick

johnsorrick New Member

Thank you all for your responses... it cleared up quite a few things for me, now for one final question...

Should I choose to Wipe Data/Cache every time I flash into a new ROM? If I do, will all my apps and settings import the same as when I created my backup, or does wiping data and cache take the ROM back to stock settings/apps, etc.?