Question about auto-sync

solorca

Reaction score
I recently downloaded a program that I need to run on auto-sync. Within the program, it has an option of setting the interval to only once an hour, which I chose. Unfortunately, this only works with auto-sync on.

I have always left auto-sync off, due to battery drain. My question is, if I set auto-sync as ON, but disable it for every program that shows up in my sync list (gmail, mybackup, twitter, facebook, etc.) and only have that program as active, will it still drain my battery? Or, hopefully, will it only check for auto-syncing once every hour since that's the only program it should be checking for?

dylanthecat

Reaction score
I have Touchdown email, weather, facebook, and gmail syncing as needed with very good battery life. I am guessing something else is causing your battery issue. I think what you are asking though would work in theory.

OP
S

solorca

Reaction score
I have Touchdown email, weather, facebook, and gmail syncing as needed with very good battery life. I am guessing something else is causing your battery issue. I think what you are asking though would work in theory.

I may has misrepresented my issue a little bit. I haven't really had problems with battery life, I have just left auto-sync off to avoid unwanted drainage since I don't typically need updated email.

I've been running auto-sync for the one program for a few hours now, and the draining isn't even registering yet...so hopefully I'll be good. We'll see after a day or two.

jtydroid

Reaction score

I may has misrepresented my issue a little bit. I haven't really had problems with battery life, I have just left auto-sync off to avoid unwanted drainage since I don't typically need updated email.

I've been running auto-sync for the one program for a few hours now, and the draining isn't even registering yet...so hopefully I'll be good. We'll see after a day or two.

If you get Juice Defender from the Market, it will allow you to create a 'schedule' of when the device should auto-sync. It saves battery by only connecting your device once every 15 m/30 m/hour, etc...

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is ActiveSync available to you? If so, just choose it in your settings and set the email checking frequency to As items arrive. This really should be posted in its own thread rather than threadjacking this one.

DevonSorlie

Reaction score
Is ActiveSync available to you? If so, just choose it in your settings and set the email checking frequency to As items arrive. This really should be posted in its own thread rather than threadjacking this one.
Thank you. My son had set it for Exchange 2007. I fixed that last night and all appears to be working. And my apologizes about "threadjacking." Wasn't my intention.