Question about activating slot 1 in safestrap

YellowJacket

Reaction score
OK, so I have finally ventured into uncharted waters for me... rooting.

I have successfully rooted and installed safestrap v3.11 via matts utility. I do have root and have granted permanent superuser privileges to safestrap. I have cleared my caches and done my backup,but when I try to activate slot 1, the progress bar just sits there and does not move. No errors, just acts like its stalled out and not going further.

Am I doing something wrong? I am trying to get to a point where I can install CM10.1 spyder (stable build). Sorry for seeming like a noob.... :blink:

Thanks for the help.

David

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Only used safestrap for a while so bear with me but did you create the slot before trying to activate it?

Sent from my Droid Razr HD using Tapatalk 4

OP
YellowJacket

YellowJacket

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

Here is what I do:
1. Reboot and choose safestrap by hitting the menu button at the prompt. (interesting, but the boot screen says in red "Safestrap:Disabled")
2. from the main screen, I choose the boot options button.
3. From the boot options, I choose ROM-Slot-1. THere is where it hangs. I don't see anything that indicates "create" a slot. There is only 5 choices. Rom slots 1 to 4 and Stock Rom.

Scratches head....

David

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Its disabled? Did you open the app when the phone was on and enable it?

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
If your steps check out, I'd uninstall SS, maybe verify you got a good copy then reinstall.

OP
YellowJacket

YellowJacket

Reaction score
Its disabled? Did you open the app when the phone was on and enable it?

Thats where I get puzzled. When I launch the safestrap app, I get two choices: "install recovery" and "uninstall Recovery"
Recovery state says "installed" and Safe System says "not active". No other choices, no response from menu button.

Also, I checked superuser and permissions have been granted.

David

OP
YellowJacket

YellowJacket

Reaction score
Yup, followed the video exactly. I wonder if it has to do with my SD card? I have a 32gb class 6 card.

I may just try it again and see what happens.

David

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
I don't think it should have anything to do with your card. SS works with internal memory.

OP
YellowJacket

YellowJacket

Reaction score
I don't think it should have anything to do with your card. SS works with internal memory.

Yeah, thats what I thought but when I rewatched the video, he mentioned formatting the SD card before he tapped on slot 1.

Thanks for the help gocliffgo, I'm going to give it another try after I get off work tomorrow.

David

GotnFX

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

Here is what I do:
1. Reboot and choose safestrap by hitting the menu button at the prompt. (interesting, but the boot screen says in red "Safestrap:Disabled")
2. from the main screen, I choose the boot options button.
3. From the boot options, I choose ROM-Slot-1. THere is where it hangs. I don't see anything that indicates "create" a slot. There is only 5 choices. Rom slots 1 to 4 and Stock Rom.

David

David, did you get this to work?

I am not sure if it is needed, but have you backed up your stock ROM in the boot main screen? Also, it is correct to be in Red/Disabled since you haven't loaded a ROM. I followed this video:

[video=youtube;XkgV327UPCM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkgV327UPCM&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

OP
YellowJacket

YellowJacket

Reaction score
@ GotnFX,

A big thanks for the video! Should be a must watch for all noobs that want to flash via safestrap.

So, I hadn't had a chance to do it yet though. Im on an 8 day stretch of 10 hour shifts so my battery (as well as myself) is pretty spent at the end of the day. Although the video did make it seem pretty foolproof, I may try tonight...

Thanks a bunch to you and GoCliff for all the help!

David

OP
YellowJacket

YellowJacket

Reaction score
Success! Well....sort of. It took over 30 minutes to prepare slot1 and another 30 to install the CM ROM. I'm a bit disappointed in CM though as everything seems fast but there are a few things that don't work such as wifi. No biggie as I'm sure it will be fixed in an upcoming build..

But, now that I have everything set up, it looks like there are LOTS of good custom ROMs just waiting to be tested. :)

David

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Glad you got it!

GotnFX

Reaction score
Glad you got it!

Yes! However, I am on CM and have no issue with WiFi. Although, I am using nightly builds as oppose to the stable versions...but to be honest..I don't ever recall having issues with WiFi. I am not sure what version your on but if you go to about phone, there is a section called CM updates. You could request all builds types..or stable or just nightly. You could set it up to check for updates daily..weekly..monthly. IMHO, I like it the best and it gets alot of attention from the dev. Congrats and have fun with the different ROMs.. I am honestly a crack addict when it comes to ROMs and updates! Lol