question about 2.1 offical coming...

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by doug piston, Jan 5, 2010.

1. doug piston

doug piston Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

i have a rooted and updated to 2.1 rom droid. my question which i asked in another thread but thought i should make my own and not thread jack, is with the new on coming out couldnt i just use nanodroid and manually update to it instead of going back to a non rooted 2.0.1??

if this was the case i sure would save a lot of time for the knowledgable people here from haveing to explain over and over again how to get back to a stock phone. just a thought but i dont know all that much yet.
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  2. Topsy

Topsy New Member

The official update will come in the form of an update.zip which will mostly likely verify your current version before it runs, so it is highly doubtful u can push it onto your phone while running 2.1 already.
  3. doug piston

then i can just go back to my 2.0.1 that a have saved then push from there..... sounds good to me.
  4. Topsy

Topsy New Member

That's the general idea :)
  5. doug piston

alright then. no biggie then. i hope lots of the newbs like myself see this an understand there is no reason for panic and riots. thanks for the help good sir.
  6. Topsy

Topsy New Member

I"m sure some still will, and there will be a idiots guide to reverting to 2.01 then upgrading to 2.1 guide posted.

Then we'll still get questions after that.
  7. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Doug,

Way way back (like a couple of weeks) when 2.0.1 got rooted, the topic of the OTA still being pending for rooted folks who had not gotten theirs was pretty critical. Some of the folks who just tried to slap the ota update.zip on their midified phones were getting bricked. Had to do, if I understand correctly, the OTA was very sensitive to any phone modifications, file signatures, etc.

You are correct now that we have Sprecovery, we should theoretcially have additional options, or at least the ability to try it to see what happens. I think at the very least one or more of the programmers would have to as a minimum go through with a fine tooth comb and "reprogram" anything found that might conflict with modified phones. I think it will also depend on the format of the file. If it is an update.zip, I am not sure what would be needed to do to convert the file to be compatable with the various and assorted Sprecoveries we have here. They all vary a bit. One thing that I know for sure is that if you are rooted, 2.1'd or whatever now, you absolutely don't want the OTA trying to do it's thing automatically.

And back to my point about one of the knowledgable folks here who know enough to spend the time on developing. Are any of them gonna want to take the time to fiddle with going backwards, with so much ground ahead going forward?

Craig
  8. Topsy

Topsy New Member

They said today the 2.1 update would be made open source...not that it would be pushed out via OTA...big difference.

But you are correct..it may not be an update.zip...my assumption was wrong for that.
  9. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

They said today .....

OK Topsy, help this poor fool out who is actually trying to work again for a full day. Article, link, google search, hammer me man.

Craig
  10. doug piston

ya thought with them saying it was opened source meant they would be putting out there own rom so to speak...
  11. doug piston

12. chdundrwd

chdundrwd New Member

Also just because it is open source doesn't mean that it will automatically work out of the box. There will have to be updates made for each individual phone to make it work with the software. There is a lot more to software than just installing it and it working. It has to be told to work with the hardware of the device. :)
  13. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Thanks for the link. I saw that article, but had not read it. From the article:

Begin Quote:

Android 2.1 will come preloaded on the Nexus One, and will be available "in a few days" to the open-source community. But carriers and hardware vendors will have to approve individual updates for existing Android handsets. ........

Peter and I compete, but both of us support the [Android] ecosystem. I think today Android is the fastest growing ecosystem. I think that is ultimately good for all of us participating."

End Quote

Somewhat interesting, and the question of updates is still pretty vague in my mind. Other than the little bit of bile in the back of my throat when reading "ecosystem" Good grief...........

Craig
  14. doug piston

i understand that but what im trying to say is eventually i could just update using nanodroid instead of have to unroot. <-- was wondering if that satement is true. i already have the 2.1 like most just want to have to work backwards to get the offical one. you can see all threads alreadry. the get back to 2.0.1. dont want to be part the omg how did i get back wave if there is no real issue here.
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  15. chdundrwd

chdundrwd New Member

I would say yes being that you can get the 2.0.1 and install through nandroid. I will take a little bit of time for someone to compile but as it happened last time there was only a handful of people who actually received the 2.0.1 update the first couple of days and then was rolled out later on to the rest of us. There were people installing the update before it was rolled out OTA to them so that is why my answer is probably yes.