Qualcomm's New Snapdragon S4 Stays Cool Under Pressure... Literally.

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;4mSD_EhgGSc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4mSD_EhgGSc[/video]​

Qualcomm's new Snapdragon S4 dual-core chip is a very hot product, at least from a sales perspective. It is currently showing up in a number of flagship phones including the HTC One X and the new Samsung Galaxy S III for the United States. But what really cool thing about the chip, is that it is, well... cool, literally. Qualcomm purposefully designed the chip to be fast, efficient on battery life, but also thermally efficient too. This means it runs cooler. To prove this, some engineers decided to compare a Snapdragon S4 equipped phone to two competitors in a butter melting challenge. Yes. A butter melting competition. I'll be you have never tried that with your phone. The S4 equipped phone stomped the competition in this unorthodox contest. But, don't take my word for it. Watch the video above for yourself.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Melting butter.... now that's a scientific test lol. Wonder if they had any popcorn??? Just kidding. But hey if that works to demonstrate their product.. cool. :)

I wish we knew who was going to power the next moto... before Intel gets inside there I mean. :cool:

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Melting butter.... now that's a scientific test lol. Wonder if they had any popcorn??? Just kidding. But hey if that works to demonstrate their product.. cool. :)

I wish we knew who was going to power the next moto... before Intel gets inside there I mean. :cool:

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

I love how they say "Competitor A and Competitor B" but you can clearly see what phone models they are! [lol]

ExodusC

Reaction score
You mean my Samsung Galaxy S3 with a Snapdragon S4 won't be able to melt my popcorn butter as quickly as Competitor A's and Competitor B's phone?

Get your marketing together, Qualcomm, don't make me regret my purchase.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
The Razr doesn't seem to get that hot fast either. Makes me wonder if my Bionic (running 200MHz slower) gets hot less quicker...

It doesn't, but I don't mind, cause when I'm doing heat intensive stuff I just use my laptop cooling fan. Works great.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I will not be satisfied until I can fry an egg on my phone. :icon_evil:

That way when I am rushing one morning for work I can show up at the morning meeting and crack an egg on my phone why the boss is talking. Whip out some bread from my back pack and some orange juice and enjoy a balanced breakfast. :icon_ devil:

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
What phones are they? I couldn't tell. I was hoping B would be an iPhone.

I think A is a RAZR, but still not sure about B.

Without a doubt A is the Razr. The USB and HDMI on the top, and then the silver strip that says moto give it away.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm Sold! Fantastic marketing Qualcomm.

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
My Droid 4 gets pretty warm when I'm using 3G but not so much with WiFi. I can feel the heat even through the snap on case I have on my D4.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea the RAZR is A.

Yea.....doesnt the lower nm number means it runs cooler? Another positive for getting a phone with newer hardware. Thats one reason I'm finally gonna give quad core PC's a shot. Some run cooler now than before.

What phone is phone B???? lol.

Last edited:

SiGfever

Reaction score
Yea the RAZR is A.

Yea.....doesnt the lower nm number means it runs cooler? Another positive for getting a phone with newer hardware. Thats one reason I'm finally gonna give quad core PC's a shot. Some run cooler now than before.

What phone is phone B???? lol.
Some do but others are furnaces. Two out of four of my water-cooled quad cores are fiery beasts (130w TDP). But they are all 45nm die technology. Most of the newer 32nw die shrink run at 95w TDP but some six core run at 130w TDP.