Qualcomm Video Shows Their Older 2010 Mobile Chips are Better Than Intel's Atom

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;ze5z8grcXhU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ze5z8grcXhU[/video]​

Ouch! This video must really burn "ChipZilla's" rear-end! Qualcomm just released a video comparing their Mobile chips to Intel's newest Atom Mobile chip. Qualcomm's technology smokes Intel's stuff, but what is even more amazing is that Qualcomm is actually using their older 2010 chipsets for the comparison! Here's a quote with a few more details,

The video compares usable performance in several areas, including gaming and simple web browsing — scrolling and zooming. It seems the Snapdragon processor does it better than Intel Atom. Qualcomm also touts compatibility as among the main advantages of its platform. Some apps and games simply won’t work on Intel’s platform.

Now that’s not everything there is about the comparison. Qualcomm actually used an old phone — a 2011 Sony Xperia Arc S with a circa 2010 Snapdragon S2.

Share your thoughts on this revelation from the makers of the Snapdragon.

Source: AndroidAuthority

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Idk.. if it is true.. it won't be for long. Intel is just getting into the game. Give a little time.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I'm sorry, but the GPS one has nothing to do with the Atom chip. It could be a crap antenna or something. Also, I'm wondering how much of the Android OS is set to work so well with the Atom chip. Qualcomm has has WAY longer to get the software bugs worked out.

This is intel we're talking about here, a giant in the processor business.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You both make good points but I think that may be the reason motorola did not release it in the states first. Intel will get there but it has a ways to go and motorola is already apologizing for the bionic. I expect motorola to use the international market as a live test market for intel to get it right. If we see intel it will be in the xoom 3 first and then phones. That way if they have another tegra 3 lte issue it will be isolated to the tablet market. But that is my opinion.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
The arc S runs on ICS now while that other phone was obviously on GB still. I think that plays a decent amount in the browser test. I went to the verge on my bionic and tried it both in stock and chrome. Chromes pinch to zoom was a lot more fluid then stocks. But still ICS is such an improvement over GB that it kind of isn't fair. Why not use an S2 device that still runs on GB to compare?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Droid Forums

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
You first have to learn how to walk, before you can run, the Atom will get there in due time, it looks like software issues to me.

HelpeRX

Reaction score
On a unrelated note those games seemed pretty kick ass lol what were the names of the games played in the video ?

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but the GPS one has nothing to do with the Atom chip. It could be a crap antenna or something. Also, I'm wondering how much of the Android OS is set to work so well with the Atom chip. Qualcomm has has WAY longer to get the software bugs worked out.

Very true. They don't call Intel "Chipzilla" for nothing. ;)

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Intel just got pwned.

Whether or not Intel is new to the game is irrelevant. A newer technology should always strive to be better than old tech.

When you build a phone technology, do you start from scratch, or do you take something that already exists and make yours better?

B0B0

Reaction score
Just did that browser pinch/zoom and it didn't lag.. on an old galaxy S1 samsung fascinate.
iApple has kept up with higher end processors for years now by optimizing software and working within an 800mhz window. It's more optimization than processor power. At least for these small devices.

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score

I was thinking it was related to the GPS chip, but either way, your right.

The arc S runs on ICS now while that other phone was obviously on GB still. I think that plays a decent amount in the browser test. I went to the verge on my bionic and tried it both in stock and chrome. Chromes pinch to zoom was a lot more fluid then stocks. But still ICS is such an improvement over GB that it kind of isn't fair. Why not use an S2 device that still runs on GB to compare?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Droid Forums
This is what the key factor is! ICS vs I assume GB. GB had minimal if any x86 support or optimizations, and was designed for ARM cpu. However, ICS fully supports x86.

Just did that browser pinch/zoom and it didn't lag.. on an old galaxy S1 samsung fascinate.
iApple has kept up with higher end processors for years now by optimizing software and working within an 800mhz window. It's more optimization than processor power. At least for these small devices.
What does Apple have to do with this? As for pinch to zoom, assuming that some how relates to the topic at hand, of course it did not lag. That was the point Qualcom proved through deception.