Qualcomm Unveils 1Gbps X16 LTE Radio Modem

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
qualcomm-lte-x16-modem-feb-2016.jpg

The future of LTE is paved with a much wider road. Qualcomm just unveiled a 1Gbps X16 LTE radio modem. Right now, only South Korean, Australian or Swedish networks are capable of these "LTE Advanced Pro" speeds, but eventually the standard will reach other countries too. In fact, both Sprint and Verizon already have pilot programs in testing fro these higher 1Gbps wireless speeds.

Despite the work being done, this X16 LTE modem is unlikely to show up in a Qualcomm Snapdragon product until we see the 830 chipset showing up in devices next year. We will be sure to share it with you guys when it shows up in US bound devices.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
This doesn't matter in the least. Until data caps are gone, we can have 100Gb/s speeds and it won't matter.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
YAY now everyone can reach their datacaps in the first two minutes of their billing cycle.

thank god I'm on unlimited.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Faster speeds typically doesn't equate to higher data usage, at least for the average user. This would only impact folks that download a lot of music or movies for offline use. And if you're doing that, you likely already have UD.

S5 tap'n

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Faster speeds typically doesn't equate to higher data usage, at least for the average user. This would only impact folks that download a lot of music or movies for offline use. And if you're doing that, you likely already have UD.

S5 tap'n
Until you start streaming 4k because you can.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
If I stream a 2 hour movie at 3g, it is the exact same amount of data as a 2hour movie at 4k. I can't see myself using that much more data just because the movie streams faster or the web page and my emails load faster.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
If I stream a 2 hour movie at 3g, it is the exact same amount of data as a 2hour movie at 4k. I can't see myself using that much more data just because the movie streams faster or the web page and my emails load faster.

If you stream a 2 hour 720p movie it is a hell of a lot less data than a 2 hour 4k UHD movie.

If you stream a 2 hour 720p movie it is a hell of a lot less data than a 2 hour 4k UHD movie.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Agreed! If I stream a 2 hour 720p movie (haven't done that in a long while) it's less data than a 2 hour 4k UHD movie. I may be missing the idea. That's what happens when you skim read. But if I stream a 2 hour 4k UHD movie at a faster speed vs streaming the same at a slower speed, I'm still using the same amount of data.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Agreed! If I stream a 2 hour 720p movie (haven't done that in a long while) it's less data than a 2 hour 4k UHD movie. I may be missing the idea. That's what happens when you skim read. But if I stream a 2 hour 4k UHD movie at a faster speed vs streaming the same at a slower speed, I'm still using the same amount of data.

I think we were saying the same thing.

file size is file size, streaming larger files obviously takes more data... with this they'd allow you to stream 4k easily... and someone will... then they'll complain they don't have enough data.

Honestly if this can really to 1gbps then the max bandwidth will be increased so much that unlimited data won't be a problem. Of course big red will make up some excuse about why it is.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL

The point trying to be made is that a user won't every try to stream a 4K movie on their 3G or even LTE signal. It'll buffer into oblivion. But if you can get 1Gbps down, 4K is no problem.

kinfolk248

Reaction score
How about they stop dropping calls and give me a signal inside the store when I'm on the phone with the lady looking for specific loaf of bread she likes lol