Qualcomm Exec Calls Snapdragon 810 Overheating Rumors 'Rubish'

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
qualcomm-snapdragon-smartphone-logo.jpg

With a swath of new flagship devices ignoring the Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 processor in favor of something else, it's no wonder that there is speculation across the web that it proves the rumors that the chipset has an overheating problem. This is obviously a source of consternation at Qualcomm, as its VP of marketing Tim McDonough, had some choice words to say about the rumors. Here's what McDonough shared,
“The rumours are rubbish, there was not an overheating problem with the Snapdragon 810 in commercial devices."

He added, "Why was someone spreading false information about the 810? Our point of view is that those rumours happened with the LG G Flex 2 and Qualcomm 810 being first to market with the premium-tier application processor. Then somebody decided to put out some false rumours about that, which is unfortunate but sometimes that’s how business is done. That has forced us to spend a lot of time addressing the false rumours.”

McDonough also pointed out,
But we all build pre-released products to find bugs and do performance optimisation. So when pre-released hardware doesn’t act like commercial hardware, it’s just part of the development process.

I think someone very artfully took that and used it to fuel the rumours and took something that’s completely normal and sent it to some less sophisticated news outlets to give them a story.”

McDonough also posed the simple question “who stands to gain from the rumour?” Of course the answer is Samsung, who moved away from Qualcomm to push their own Exynos chips. McDonough seems to be suggesting that Samsung was angling to setup their Exynos chip as a potential mass market competitor to Qualcomm.

Still, his accusations offer no proof, and it's obvious from the Snapdragon 808 in the LG G4 and the rumors of a Moto X 2015 with the same chip that the big OEMs are skittish about Qualcomm's flagship chipset.

One thing's for sure, even if the Snapdragon 810 doesn't have a real overheating problem, the damage has already been done. There's an old Hollywood saying that there is no such thing as bad publicity, but that's not necessarily true in the tech world. Once consumers start hearing that a device is flawed, it doesn't always matter whether it is true or not, they will avoid it like a disease. You can't blame the OEMs for skipping the 810...

Source: Forbes

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
The overheating issues with the 810 is FACT and not just a RUMOR. How come this was not the case with the 805 or anything before it, and how come the LG G4 is using the 808 instead of the 810, yea whatever.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Is it worse than the s4??all of my g1 razr maxx's have battery swell now.... Due to that processors heat..

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
The easiest thing Qualcomm can do is blame their biggest competitor Samsung. I don't know about you, but I'm not aware of any manufacturer that has opted for the Exynos chip over the Snapdragon 810. Seems some have opted for the 808. I have noticed that some manufactures have opted for the Mediatek MT6752, which they say out performs the 810.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Samsung is selling the Exynos? Didn't know that.

Testing shows the 810 throttles much more often than other Qualcomm chips, and the Samsung chip. Part of it is that the 20nm node the SoC is manufactured on is crap. It should have been clocked less aggressively and etched at the 28nm node or they should have bitten the bullet and held out for the 16nm finfet node. But if they'd done that, they'd have lost ground to their competitors.

Instead we get a crappy chip pushed into every flagship phone except Samsung phones.

Meh. Whatcha gonna do?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
"Watcha gonna do..." skip this iteration of flag ships..but i doubt I do...