Qualcomm Developing a Multi-LTE Band & Multi-Carrier Chip; Files with the FCC

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
qualcomm-multi-band-multi-carrier-chip.png

How would our members in the United States like to see a phone that could be used on any carrier? Qualcomm is developing a chip that aims to make that a reality. According to a recent FCC filing, Qualcomm is developing a radio chip that will be able to handle seven spectrum bands, including three below 1GHz. This new chip is called the WTR1605, and it would be ale to handle three sub-1GHz bands, three higher bands, and one "very high band (such as 2.5GHz)."

The picture above is just a snippet of the overall filing, but here are a few more details quoted from AndroidPolice:

Additionally, Qualcomm indicated in the filing that it will provide Lower A Block licensees that OEMs will be provided appropriate software for integration and testing to support LTE roaming on Bands 13, 17, and 25 (which is Sprint's PCS G Block).

The chip maker also tried to impress upon the FCC that it would be "inappropriate" to mandate the use of 28nm chips, as the transition to them (and the WTR1605L) is in its infancy. Further, it urges that the FCC should not mandate a Band 12/17 combination, as it is just one option for carriers "to meet their customer's interoperability needs, both within the 700MHz band and between any of the long list of other 4G bands."

Additionally, Qualcomm purposefully timed this new chip to coincide with their transition to the new 28nm process for chips. They have "accelerated development" on the chip and plan to begin shipping the first of them to manufacturers this July. The first devices using this chip will likely be in stores by the end of 2012. How's that for cool news?

Source: AndroidPolice and FCC

geoff5093

Reaction score
I would love to be able to switch to any carrier while keeping the same phone, or perhaps roam off of another national carrier when yours doesn't get service.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sign me up. Of course this probably won't be in full production until my next upgrade two years and some odd days from now, but it's all gravy.:hail:

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's that far of a step to include radios that will work on several carriers, even the Verizon gnex has some gsm radios and I think most Verizon phones do
Obviously the gsm radio is very limited...I think it's included for the extra security of always being able to make emergency calls (911). I know when I switch my gnex to gsm only it says emergency calls only

Just to clarify to everyone what a multi carrier phone would have to include radio wise you would need a gsm radio (radio used to make phone calls on carriers other than Verizon/sprint), an hspa+ radio (cellar data on non Verizon/Sprint) networks, a multi carrier cmda radio (phone calling on Verizon/sprint), evdo rev A radio (3g radio for Verizon/Sprint), wifi radio (no explanation needed), Bluetooth radio (again no explanation needed) and a multi carrier LTE radio (4g LTE for all carriers) and possibly an LTE advanced radio (for 4g LTE+ if they wait long enough for it to be implemented and if it's needed...btw 4g LTE+ speeds would most likely be several hundred MB/s)

feel free to correct me if I'm wrong

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's that far of a step to include radios that will work on several carriers, even the Verizon gnex has some gsm radios and I think most Verizon phones do
Obviously the gsm radio is very limited...I think it's included for the extra security of always being able to make emergency calls (911). I know when I switch my gnex to gsm only it says emergency calls only

Just to clarify to everyone what a multi carrier phone would have to include radio wise you would need a gsm radio (radio used to make phone calls on carriers other than Verizon/sprint), an hspa+ radio (cellar data on non Verizon/Sprint) networks, a multi carrier cmda radio (phone calling on Verizon/sprint), evdo rev A radio (3g radio for Verizon/Sprint), wifi radio (no explanation needed), Bluetooth radio (again no explanation needed) and a multi carrier LTE radio (4g LTE for all carriers) and possibly an LTE advanced radio (for 4g LTE+ if they wait long enough for it to be implemented and if it's needed...btw 4g LTE+ speeds would most likely be several hundred MB/s)

feel free to correct me if I'm wrong

I think the idea is all of said radios would be on one chip, correct? so instead of needing a different chip for every kind of radio you'd only need one... maybe I'm reading it wrong

either way, I could see big red trying to step in the way of phones like this... it would definitely cut into their profit margins