Qualcomm Announces S4 Chips

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
S4.jpg

The battle to offer us the best processors to power our smartphones just got interesting with Qualcomm's latest announcement. The chip making firm just announced their s4 dual-core processor for smartphones. This chip promises "inherent advantages in frequency scaling, power consumption and size reduction." This new chip along with an Adreno 225 GPU should offer some excellent results in the performance department. The road map we've seen before said the chip should be clocked between 1.5Ghz and 2.5Ghz, with a 50 percent graphics boost over the current Adreno 220 GPU. This improved performance, the thinner design, and Qualcomm saying it will support every type of radio we'll need (GSM, CDMA, LTE, GPS, Wifi, Bluetooth, FM and NFC) means our future phones will be thinner, cooler, cheaper, and much faster.

What do you think of that?

Via: Qualcomm

Last edited by a moderator:

combatmedic870

Reaction score
I wish this was coming in the vigor vs the S3 :)

But i guess i wish the S5 would be in the vigor over the s4! just a never ending battle!!!!!!!!!

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
makes me wonder how long until computer and phones really are one entity... with as fast as these phones are getting... it's coming.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
makes me wonder how long until computer and phones really are one entity... with as fast as these phones are getting... it's coming.

Not sure how they will ever handle the heat issue, unless there's a special dock that will also cool the phone somehow. Still, a dual-core 2.5ghz would be on par with higher-end laptops today, and powerful enough for all but the most intensive apps - assuming you have at least 6 gigs of ram in your phone (again, depending on the app). That would be on par with my work laptop, if we can dual-boot windows :)

I wouldn't blink over spending $1k for a phone that could also be the guts of something like the Asus Transformer - still GREAT value for what would basically be a 3-in-1 device.

More than likely, when my home laptop dies I'll be getting something like the Asus transformer, or a tablet with a detachable keyboard. I don't know, tablets are fun to play with but I find for any real amount of entertainment you end-up having to prop it up because it's a pain to hold.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Not sure how they will ever handle the heat issue, unless there's a special dock that will also cool the phone somehow. Still, a dual-core 2.5ghz would be on par with higher-end laptops today, and powerful enough for all but the most intensive apps - assuming you have at least 6 gigs of ram in your phone (again, depending on the app). That would be on par with my work laptop, if we can dual-boot windows :)

I wouldn't blink over spending $1k for a phone that could also be the guts of something like the Asus Transformer - still GREAT value for what would basically be a 3-in-1 device.

More than likely, when my home laptop dies I'll be getting something like the Asus transformer, or a tablet with a detachable keyboard. I don't know, tablets are fun to play with but I find for any real amount of entertainment you end-up having to prop it up because it's a pain to hold.
eventually someone will come out with a way to completely negate the heat issue, as of now I have no idea what that could be... but it's going to happen... I see things like... that paper from Caprica being entirely possible eventually. If someone can think it it's possible it's just figuring out how to make it work

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
eventually someone will come out with a way to completely negate the heat issue, as of now I have no idea what that could be... but it's going to happen... I see things like... that paper from Caprica being entirely possible eventually. If someone can think it it's possible it's just figuring out how to make it work

Eventually....I don't see it happening in the next few years, although they are making advances. In the interim, I expect an "underclocking" out of the cradle when it runs full power in the special docking cradle that cools it. I'm not even sure how you'd do that since the phones aren't vented.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm sure there will be something, either a microfan of some sort that moves air around, or as you said a special cooling dock. As of know we can already underclock certain devices with android overclock or setcpu so they run cooler, it's going to be something similar to how current desktop cpus are, were the newer they get the more efficient they are, something that runs at 2.0ghz now absolutely destroys some of the older ones that run at 4.0 it's just how it is.

armeddroid

Reaction score
From what I understand, Apple has dibs on this chip. I believe this is the chip they were waiting for to outfit the iPhone 5 so they can make use of that thin design that's been all over the web.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
From what I understand, Apple has dibs on this chip. I believe this is the chip they were waiting for to outfit the iPhone 5 so they can make use of that thin design that's been all over the web.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

I thought Apple made all their own chips? Or, more directly, they've had people like Samsung make chips according to their specs. So I'm guessing Qualcomm announcing this chip means it won't be finding it's way to the IPhone (perhaps some variant, with Apple design tweaks).