Quad-Core Phones on the Horizon

beneharris

Reaction score
I love my DroidX, but really, it is just a phone. quad core phones are just a selling point.
for most people, yeah it will be just a phone, but a few years down the road this technology will really help out with replacing laptops and desktops like someone above said.

i would think it would take a few years to do, but eventually these things will get efficient to the point where laptops really are less used. this is just one of the first steps to get there.

i probably was to young to be aware of it at the time, but i bet they said the same things about laptops, and look at them now. i'm one of the only people in my dorm who even owns a desktop computer

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Interestingly, most folks assume that dual-core and quad-core chips in phones will kill battery life, but actually if you dig deeper into the technology you find that moving to multi-core designs actually improves battery life. This is because the 'multi-brained' chips can process more information at lower clock speeds, and lower clock speeds means less power consumption.
This may be true to an extent, but a chip with 4 1.2GHz cores is still going to use more power that a single core at 2GHz. And unless the app is multicore aware, in the end it will be quite a bit slower. This is why for alot of home users, a dual-core PC in alot of cases is a better choice than a quad.

The battery life will likely be better than current gen chipsets, but not for the reasons mentioned. These new quads will likely be built on a smaller process technology, THIS is where the power savings will come from. I would hope that they are designed to power down cores that are not in use, as well.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
How bout we see a dual core phone first?? or even just a 2ghz one?
yeah we are already on liquid cooled 4GHZ Six Cores. By the time you read this we will be on servers on our handsets.

carlz28

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
How bout we see a dual core phone first?? or even just a 2ghz one?
yeah we are already on liquid cooled 4GHZ Six Cores. By the time you read this we will be on servers on our handsets.

I don't know about you CK, but my sd card has 100 TB of storage.

But seriously, I agree with a comment above that this appears to be a stepping stone of mobile technology to come. Just when things seemed to be on a plateau, they up the ante even more! I'm all for it!

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
This is all great, exciting stuff. But I still feel like battery technology is going to hold this stuff back.

Battery technology is definitely lagging other advancements in all things mobile.

bastosero

Reaction score
I can't wait until someone invents a nuclear-powered battery! LOL :)

bastosero

Reaction score
...don't forget the googol(google)-cored processors in 10 years! LOL :)

adsfa34

Reaction score
Two words:

unlocked bootloader.

My initial reaction was "oooooooooo .... (drool)", but if it comes with a locked bootloader, it's somewhat bittersweet. Hacking and customizing a phone with an encrypted bootloader is an increased risk, and yields decreased benefit.

That's the reason my Droid 1 is in my pocket and my Droid 2 is on my nightstand...

DroidMastar2

Reaction score
I just recently upgraded to a quad-core PC!!

technology moves so fast!
Only a Quad-Core?.....I have six of em : )

Back to the topic at hand. I wouldn't doubt that we will see the Quad Cores by the end of summer 2012. Just a hunch.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to running the T2 first and then advancing onto nvidia's T3 and T4.

Sent from my Droid

I have 6 Dual Core Pcs... :D hmm side note, apparently this topic is here... heh