QR Code Generator Bookmarklet?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by dbutters, May 19, 2010.

1. dbutters

dbutters New Member

Please forgive me if this is the wrong forum for this, it was the most appropriate I could think of.

I wonder at the feasibility of creating a bookmarklet for Firefox or IE that would automatically convert the URL of the page you're on to a QR code to scan with your Droid. I know there are times that I'm reading an article on my PC and need to get up and go somewhere, but would like to take the page with me. Instead of typing in the whole URL on my Droid browser, it would be nice to just hit this bookmarklet and have it generate a QR code I can scan with the camera and be on my way.

I am aware of the various websites that will generate the QR codes for you, but I think a bookmarklet or add-on would be more convenient and very useful.
  2. dbutters

dbutters New Member

...and two minutes of searching nets me a whole bunch of Firefox add-ons. Mods, please close this thread.
  3. Frog29

Frog29 New Member

Well, before you close it, consider this - Addon's in firefox take up memory as you run it. If you could do that same thing with a bookmarklet it is a lot more efficient. (oh, and there may not be one for chrome)

So in that spirit I spent a bit of time the other day trying to make one
    Here it is
    Code:
    javascript:var answ1=prompt('What link do you want to create a QR of?','');window.open('http://chart.apis.google.com/chart?cht=qr&chs=350x350&chl='+answ1);
    To create a bookmarklet from this Just create a new bookmark and put that code into the "address" section. Then click on the bookmarklet and it pops up the window.
    This pops up a window where you copy the link into. It then opens a new window with the QR code.

My goal for this was to be able to copy a downloadable link and put it as a QR code. Just copying the current url would not have done that.

If anyone wants to try and make one I built it off of QR Code Generator