[Q] Which phone should I get between...

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
A 32GB Samsung Galaxy S4, a Dev Edition Moto X, or an LG G2?

Edit: might as well throw the Note 3 in there as well.

My main concerns are storage, rooting, ROMming, and unlocking. The S4 is the only one with an SD slot, and that's a plus. But I might be able to overlook that if the other ones have a large Dev community and can be unlocked and heavily modified. Aside from the Dev Edition, of course. So basically I'm looking for customisation and user experience.

So, opinions and advice... AWAY!!!!

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Biased opinion on: Check out the G2. It is a beast of a phone. 32GB of internal storage. Edge to edge screen is gorgeous with very minimal bezel. Lots of customizing options straight OOTB without root required. There is some current development with ROMs and tweaks as well. The G2 is gaining popularity due to advertising, Consumer Reports props, and word of mouth. And with the release of it's close sibling the Nexus 5 development and popularity should be on the rise. I have been a die-hard Motorola fan for years and the G2 is the first device to drag me away from Moto.

Gonna move this to Android General Discussion where it will prolly get some more views and feedback.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
You have some good choices ahead...If you want full unlocked I just think developer phone is the way...How are you planning on upgrading? full retail price or subsidize ....S4 or N3 will have sd cards ( i don't see full unlocked boot loaders for both but will have development ..Moto X ( do you want that small screen) ..G2 all good stuff pointed out by Garemlin..

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Moto X. But then you want root so its pointless. So something else.

OP
cobravnm13

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Biased opinion on: Check out the G2. It is a beast of a phone. 32GB of internal storage. Edge to edge screen is gorgeous with very minimal bezel. Lots of customizing options straight OOTB without root required. There is some current development with ROMs and tweaks as well. The G2 is gaining popularity due to advertising, Consumer Reports props, and word of mouth. And with the release of it's close sibling the Nexus 5 development and popularity should be on the rise. I have been a die-hard Motorola fan for years and the G2 is the first device to drag me away from Moto.

Gonna move this to Android General Discussion where it will prolly get some more views and feedback.

I kind of glimpsed over the G2 a few weeks ago. Comparing it with the S4. I might look at it more if it's a more popular device in the development community. I also looked at an N3 while at a corporate store. I was actually surprised at how big it wasn't. I actually like the size. And thank you for moving the thread. I posted it here because I didn't know where I should post and I was 99% asleep.

You have some good choices ahead...If you want full unlocked I just think developer phone is the way...How are you planning on upgrading? full retail price or subsidize ....S4 or N3 will have sd cards ( i don't see full unlocked boot loaders for both but will have development ..Moto X ( do you want that small screen) ..G2 all good stuff pointed out by Garemlin..

I plan on buying full retail. Anything to keep my unlimited data. I can do without full unlock as long as there is a heavy Dev presence. And possibly a way around it.

Moto X. But then you want root so its pointless. So something else.

Yeah, I don't think I would flash a ROM on this phone if I got one, though. I would just want root for TiBu and probably Wi-Fi.

Astrix

Reaction score
Check out the G2. It is a beast of a phone.

And with the release of it's close sibling the Nexus 5 development and popularity should be on the rise. I have been a die-hard Motorola fan for years and the G2 is the first device to drag me away from Moto.

+1 for LG G2 :D:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

TapaTalking from Republic™Of Android

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
As an s4 user for the past couple months, I still think it's a beast of a phone. I've been stock rooted since day 2 of ownership and haven't even thought for a second about flashing a ROM. I rooted for the same exact reason you want to and I can tell you it's been smooth sailing. I haven't taken the latest 4.3 update so if you do that your potential s4 may even run smoother (if they have figured out how to root it or keep root yet, been out of the loop).

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I plan on buying full retail. Anything to keep my unlimited data. I can do without full unlock as long as there is a heavy Dev presence. And possibly a way around it.

Yeah, I don't think I would flash a ROM on this phone if I got one, though. I would just want root for TiBu and probably Wi-Fi.

Can't beat the G2 at $449.99 right now full price. Especially considering the Note 3 is $299 on contract. The G2 has root and there are several tweaks available for it including shrinking down the soft button bar at the bottom, headphone/speakervolume boost, and extended power menu. I know a couple of ROMS also have wifi tether built in. I expect more development in the future with the N5 being released since they are so similar.

Caesars

Reaction score
If you don't have a specific reason to pick either of your options (love amoled, love ips, need SD card, removable battery, giant screen vs 5 inches etc) the obvious choice is the g2. Honestly IMHO the note 3 and g2 are the best hardware you're going to find in a phone (America at least), and at that price the g2 is a steal.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

acousticshade

Reaction score
If you don't have a specific reason to pick either of your options (love amoled, love ips, need SD card, removable battery, giant screen vs 5 inches etc) the obvious choice is the g2. Honestly IMHO the note 3 and g2 are the best hardware you're going to find in a phone (America at least), and at that price the g2 is a steal.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

+1 Huge difference in cost between the G2 and the N3 right now. Both are awesome phones. I was wary of the receivers on the N3 because they are weaker than the moto and G2, but Samsung just dropped an update, so I think they got a slight boost. Both screens and cameras are top rated. Both phones are rumored to get kit kat pretty quickly also.

I was pretty wary of the G2 having a small following, but this current sale is generating quite a bit of buzz and I have seen a decent amount of advertising. Check out any of the major android forums and you will see huge numbers of visits/likes/comments on the G2 threads going on right now. Heck the number of views on this forum are easily double any other current story and the comments are considerably more.

If you want a big phone or if money is no object, I say go N3, otherwise I would suggest the G2.

OP
cobravnm13

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Ok, thanks guys. I think I know what the general consensus is now. I might look into the G2 when I get a chance.

BlueLions81

Reaction score
Don't get the Moto X. If you are going to go that route get the Droid Maxx. It's a better phone with a bigger battery.