[Q] Razr XT910 Poor Camera Quality !

Iorveth

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently got the Razr XT910 and everything is nice except for the camera quality.

When i take pictures 99.99% of the pictures i take are BLURRY and i try hard to make my hands stand still... not to mention the video recording quality.. i have an ipod touch that have a vga camera that can take pictures way better than my Razr XT910.

Is there a program or update or mod or driver that i need to install to get it to work correctly ?

i will upload some pictures ASAP to let you show you what i mean.

EDIT: Pictures Link

http://dl.xda-developers.com/attach...56f/1/0/2/3/5/6/2/2012-04-24_21-22-40_466.jpg

http://dl.xda-developers.com/attach...584/1/0/2/3/5/6/1/2012-04-24_21-22-36_730.jpg

http://dl.xda-developers.com/attach...596/1/0/2/3/5/6/0/2012-04-24_21-22-26_660.jpg

http://dl.xda-developers.com/attach...d5a0/1/0/2/3/5/5/9/2012-04-24_21-22-16_25.jpg

chadwick108

Reaction score
try to change quality I have run into some issues after rooting or flashing on Droid 3...try changing quality to 720 then back to 1080. This recently just happened with a stock replacement Droid 3...think it possibly had something to do with focus. Worked for me...try your luck and let me know!

OP
I

Iorveth

Reaction score
The same quality still. The problem is with the focus, it takes too long to take a picture and it is way too sensitive to your hand motion to the point that its almost impossible to take a good picture with blurriness. Tried other applications like ICS camera + and i gotta say it worked a lot better but still not to the point of the picture quality of 8Mpixel camera is supposed to be.

Hope the ICS software upgrade will improve it.

Thank you for the help though, i appreciate it.

unholydoragon

Reaction score
I have the same complaint. People on this site appear to have good results with a camera app though

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
I have had a good experience with the picture quality on mine. We have to remember a few things: it's a phone, not a camera and a high number of megapixels does not mean better picture quality. Picture quality is primarily determined by the lens and the abilty to focus accurately. I have an old 1.3 megapixel Canon digital camera that takes excellent quality pictures because the lens is decent quality and it focuses well. I can't blow them up much because of the low density of megapixels, but at a normal size, they are good quality. Phones have tiny little lenses that don't let very much light get to the sensor. The lenses are not high quality optical lenses, and the software isn't the best.
I couldn't see your pictures, but if they are all very blurry, the camera may be defective and not focusing correctly. Get another Razr and take the exact same picture with both phones and compare the quality. Go back to the Verizon store and compare a pictures you take on your phone and the store demo phone. It yours is bad, get them to replace it.

SnoDrtRider

Reaction score
My Razr takes what I consider very good pictures... I don't even carry my Canon S5is anymore unless I want to take night/low light shots.
It is a phone after all

photobucket-3505-1322345281338.jpg

photobucket-3329-1322345183503.jpg

IMG_20111030_091024.jpg

photobucket-3330-1327440926678.jpg

Last edited:

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Nice Montesa. I haven't seen one of those in decades.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
63394eae-4c84-cfcf.jpg
63394eae-4cb5-f0e1.jpg
I have to disagree about the camera's quality. True it is a phone camera, not a $1,000 SLR Nikon. Here are a few of mine.
63394eae-4bf3-4ae3.jpg
63394eae-4c09-2df7.jpg
63394eae-4c40-c105.jpg

Sent by my new Droid Razr Maxx

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
The same quality still. The problem is with the focus, it takes too long to take a picture and it is way too sensitive to your hand motion to the point that its almost impossible to take a good picture with blurriness. Tried other applications like ICS camera + and i gotta say it worked a lot better but still not to the point of the picture quality of 8Mpixel camera is supposed to be.

Hope the ICS software upgrade will improve it.

Thank you for the help though, i appreciate it.

Megapixels mean absolutely nothing for the quality of a picture. Manufacturers advertise them like they do, but basically, all that an increase in megapixels means is an increase the actual size of the picture. There are a lot of things that make a camera take good pictures, but two of the main things are the sensor and the lens. If you have a good sensor and a good lens, then having a larger megapixel count is nice if you're looking to make a very large print or crop in closely. But the megapixel count itself has no bearing on the quality of the pictures or the camera. I think the recent 8MP cameras from Motorola are more than enough proof of that. Like jkaod said, you can have an older camera with a lower megapixel count that takes good pictures. I have an eight-year-old 5MP Sony Cybershot that puts all of the mainstream cameras on phones today to shame.

I find the camera on the RAZR/MAXX to be serviceable, and even slightly above average in the right conditions. But I think it's definitely one of the biggest areas in which Motorola lags behind other manufacturers.

Last edited:

SnoDrtRider

Reaction score
The available focal length is where the problem is. You cannot compare a device that is barely a half inch deep with a camera that has a lens that protrudes 2-3 inches. The optics just aren't comparable. I'm not a photography expert but a shorter lens depth will give you less depth of field... the amount of the photo that will be in focus vs how far away it is from the lens.
A deeper lens will give you more "wiggle room" so if you move your hand the outcome (being out of focus) is not as pronounced as a greater depth of the field will remain in focus.
The closer the subject the more pronounced the problem... a portrait or close up will have less depth of field than a landscape so the focus is more critical.
As far as image stabilization goes... try drinking less coffee!:biggrin:

Last edited:
OP
I

Iorveth

Reaction score
Well, i bought it from NEWEGG. It's and unlocked phone. i used it for over a moth now so i cannot return it anymore. Anyways, my system software is PSHAsiaRetail.EN with Android version 2.3.6.

Do you think its the System Software ? Do you think that changing the software to EU instead of Asia will make any difference?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Well, i bought it from NEWEGG. It's and unlocked phone. i used it for over a moth now so i cannot return it anymore. Anyways, my system software is PSHAsiaRetail.EN with Android version 2.3.6.

Do you think its the System Software ? Do you think that changing the software to EU instead of Asia will make any difference?

I'd say that's very doubtful. You'd have better luck improving the pictures by trying out different camera apps in the Play store.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
One little trick I saw recently that helps on a lot of phones is to push the "button", but don't let up until you're ready to take the picture - b/c a lot of phones don't actually read the press until you've let off, for the camera anyway. That way you can at least avoid the "bump" you give the phone when you hit the button. It's not perfect, but can tend to help with stabilization.

And, as has already been stated, Moto has always lacked in the camera department unfortunately. They just don't do well unless you have perfect lighting and no movement.