Q: How can one manually choose a network?

darkgreen

Reaction score
Question thread: My house has coverage from multiple networks, can I manually choose which one the phone should log onto?

Setup: Recently something happened to the local coverage and, for now at least, I get 0-1 bars with Verizon but other networks have full bars all the time. When I get a call on my VZW droid it's the same thing every time: caller can't hear me, we scream for a bit "can you hear me?" then it drops, the phone hops on another network and suddenly I have full bars and I can call the guy back and have a conversation.

So, can I manually choose the network on the droid? I know how to do it on the blackberry...

Last edited:
OP
D

darkgreen

Reaction score
A. Verizon is CDMA, AT&T is GSM. Not compatible

Droid works only on Verizon

Doh! I knew that too :icon_eek: Maybe I'm jumping onto Sprint or something (they do CDMA2000, right?)

So I guess I don't know who's network I'm hopping on or if it's just a basestation change, but how do I manually select this?

(Edited out mention of ATT reception in original post)

Last edited:
OP
D

darkgreen

Reaction score
Doh! I knew that too :icon_eek: Maybe I'm jumping onto Sprint or something (they do CDMA2000, right?)...
(Edited out mention of ATT reception in original post)

Still wont work – different multiplexing scheme.

:icon_ devil:

Okaaaay I did not know THAT. Link for more info?

Still, main question remains, how do I see available networks and select one?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Hmm...manual network selection was possible on the G1. Customer service even walked me through it. I'd forgotten that it existed.

Is that because it was T-Mobile?

OP
D

darkgreen

Reaction score
Hmm...manual network selection was possible on the G1. Customer service even walked me through it. I'd forgotten that it existed.

Is that because it was T-Mobile?

My T-mobile and ATT blackberries both have it too. I'm surprised to hear people think it won't be possible. Clearly the phone is seeing multiple networks.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can't, least to my knowledge. Have you updated you PRL lately? That may help.

How To... Roaming Indicator

Did the update. Phone still sitting on one bar network until it goes to zero, then jumping to 5 bar network after dropping the call...

LOL, mine was doing similar today... had one bar when I got a call, hung up then all of a sudden 5 bars.... interesting, maybe they are working on updating the PRL or somethings going on with the network.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Ok, so...bad news...I just played around with BetterCut, because you an use it to make shortcuts to some things not accessible through menus and such. Didn't find anything on cdma network select, but apparently all Android is truly created equal, because I found access to GSM settings and one screen I found had an option for operator select. Almost positive that this is the screen in which I setup the network manually on my T-Mobile G1.

The problem? Droid Doesn't do GSM. I couldn't open the operator select menu. No luck.

Isn't there some sort of network extender thing you can get to boost Verizon's signal in-home...?