[Q] Best Service / Price?

clockcycle

Reaction score
Hellos,

Was wondering and wanted to know from others, their experiences with using a D2G with different carriers/services.

I have a D2G on simple mobile currently. Switched from Sprint using an EVO 4G, data in my calling areas just stunk and never got better, forget ever getting a 4G signal..

But, it seems I am in an area between towers, because I seem to get the same result using Simple Mobile connected to Tmobile Towers. Signal drops from nothing to 3 bars if I turn around. And I only get an Edge data connection (I understand it's a frequency issue).

I was told by a Walmart Rep, that they use Family Mobile powered by Tmobile and don't have the throttle issue as with Simple Mobile, but 250mb data cap at the same $45/month as Straight Talk (even thought I'd be stuck at Edge with the D2G anyways) is too low a cap, especially if I were to switch phones later on.

So I recently read into Straight Talk as an option, after reading how bad H2O data is and that Simple Mobile's 3G is throttled to 119kbs (tested on a SK4G, yeap confirmed 119kbs max).

So I wanted to know from others, what kind of data rates they are getting on various providers using a D2G.

-CC

complexmystery

Reaction score
Hellos,

Was wondering and wanted to know from others, their experiences with using a D2G with different carriers/services.

I have a D2G on simple mobile currently. Switched from Sprint using an EVO 4G, data in my calling areas just stunk and never got better, forget ever getting a 4G signal..

But, it seems I am in an area between towers, because I seem to get the same result using Simple Mobile connected to Tmobile Towers. Signal drops from nothing to 3 bars if I turn around. And I only get an Edge data connection (I understand it's a frequency issue).

I was told by a Walmart Rep, that they use Family Mobile powered by Tmobile and don't have the throttle issue as with Simple Mobile, but 250mb data cap at the same $45/month as Straight Talk (even thought I'd be stuck at Edge with the D2G anyways) is too low a cap, especially if I were to switch phones later on.

So I recently read into Straight Talk as an option, after reading how bad H2O data is and that Simple Mobile's 3G is throttled to 119kbs (tested on a SK4G, yeap confirmed 119kbs max).

So I wanted to know from others, what kind of data rates they are getting on various providers using a D2G.

-CC

Also looking for the same information, because right now I amthe cricket 45 plan and though I get 3g on occasion, it's nothing I would brag about and I was going to switch to simple mobile but I heard I wouldnt get 3g their either

OP
clockcycle

clockcycle

Reaction score
Also looking for the same information, because right now I amthe cricket 45 plan and though I get 3g on occasion, it's nothing I would brag about and I was going to switch to simple mobile but I heard I wouldnt get 3g their either

This is true. I am currently on Simple Mobile, and as I mentioned, on the D2G I can only get Edge, because of the device's radio limitations/ incompatibility with Tmo frequencies. But I also switched my SM SIM to my SK4G and 3G is throttled at slower than Edge.. I am a new SM customer and haven't ever even had the chance to abuse it's unlimited data to have been flagged a heavy user ;)

Reason I asked, is I have already ordered an E71 from ST since they are currently still offering refurbs for $50. And because the D2G is compatible with their offerings with AT&T.

silver6054

Reaction score
This is true. I am currently on Simple Mobile, and as I mentioned, on the D2G I can only get Edge, because of the device's radio limitations/ incompatibility with Tmo frequencies. But I also switched my SM SIM to my SK4G and 3G is throttled at slower than Edge.. I am a new SM customer and haven't ever even had the chance to abuse it's unlimited data to have been flagged a heavy user ;)

Reason I asked, is I have already ordered an E71 from ST since they are currently still offering refurbs for $50. And because the D2G is compatible with their offerings with AT&T.

Are you using the TBH radio hack (so using the old radio from the .29 version)? Otherwise I'm not sure how you are getting any GSM signal in the US at all!

OP
clockcycle

clockcycle

Reaction score
Are you using the TBH radio hack (so using the old radio from the .29 version)? Otherwise I'm not sure how you are getting any GSM signal in the US at all!

Yes, I have a fully SIM and Band unlocked 608 GB updated D2G. It's a very interesting tinker toy.