Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
Details on DROID Bionic Delay, Launching at Same Time as 4G LTE on XOOM

On the new DROID Bionic:
Question: Does the push out of the Bionic impact the product lineup for the backend of the year or does the Bionic overlap other products you planned to put out in Q3?
Motorola (Sanjay): As we saw that that product (original Bionic) was pushing out a little bit, we worked with our partners at Verizon Wireless and re-featured the device and we believe that the result of it, we will have a much better device. We had another device which was a potentially…which had different features than…and we brought in some of the features to deliver what we consider to be a higher feature device that will launch as we go forward into the summer.
Follow-up question: Can you say anything about what the features would be?
Motorola (Sanjay): My anticipation is that it will be an important device for us.
Bionic delay due to 4G issues – Launching at same time as 4G on XOOM:

Question: What kind of precipitated the Bionic delay – your side or the Verizon side? And on the XOOM, the 4G, is that kind of the timing over the summer that you had talked about before? Is it possible that the XOOM and the Bionic – does the timing of 4G on the XOOM have anything to do with the change in plan of the Bionic or completely different issues?
Motorola (Sanjay): They are related and it is to do with the timing of 4G for us. That is the issue that delayed us. We are engaged with all of the providers in the industry and we feel very comfortable with the fast forward here. We believe that we will launch both devices with 4G capabilities in the summer here.
Follow-up question: So once you sell one, you sell the other and they both come out at the same time?
Motorola (Sanjay): You got it.
More on the Bionic delay – Hardware or software issue?:

Question: On the delay of the Bionic was it a hardware chip side issue or software issue or a response to the competitive landscape?
Motorola (Sanjay): It was really a software issue of getting the performance to a place that both ourselves and our partner Verizon Wireless were comfortable launching the device. And as you understand there is a great deal of complexity in launching any new technology like this and that was probably the main matter at heart here..
Go Here For More

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Man he's great at dodging questions. They probably told him don't actually answer any of the questions.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Zecpull

Reaction score
They must have hired the old Minister of information from Iraq .. Or Some Politician . That was the most Vague answer..

tcayton49

Reaction score
I was able to participate in the conference calls. The article left out some of the more interesting and important details. Here's the missing transcript:

Question:When the bionic is released will it resemble more closely the Etna that we've seen or the targa that we've heard about?
Motorola(Sanjay) Yes, I do like chocolate cake. I think I'll have a slice.

Question:But the bionic will definitely be dual core and LTE?
Motorola(Sanjay) We expect our stock prices to react accordingly

Question:Some people were asking why the bionic only has 512mb ram when its twin the atrix has 1gb. will these enhanced features include more RAM?
Motorola(Sanjay):We are quite happy with the quality of pictures that the DroidX is capable of taking.

I'm not sure how those questions got left out of the article, but it gives tremendous insight as to what we can expect.

BlacknTan

Reaction score
BlackNTan's corporate translation:

Motorola (Sanjay): As we saw that that product (original Bionic) was pushing out a little bit, we worked with our partners at Verizon Wireless and re-featured the device and we believe that the result of it, we will have a much better device. We had another device which was a potentially…which had different features than…and we brought in some of the features to deliver what we consider to be a higher feature device that will launch as we go forward into the summer.

Translation: The phone was way too buggy for Verizon to let us release it and we couldn't get it to work right. We spent so much time trying to figure out how to make it work that the hardware began to look dated. So we switched to another phone. I'm just hoping if I say the word "feature" enough it will convince you that it was all part of some big plan, and that the delays are really for your own benefit.

Motorola (Sanjay): My anticipation is that it will be an important device for us.

Translation: Oh crap, you want me to actually talk about the "features" thing? umm... I'm going to stop mentioning "features" now, but just trust me... it'll be great... really.

Question: What kind of precipitated the Bionic delay – your side or the Verizon side? And on the XOOM, the 4G, is that kind of the timing over the summer that you had talked about before? Is it possible that the XOOM and the Bionic – does the timing of 4G on the XOOM have anything to do with the change in plan of the Bionic or completely different issues?
Motorola (Sanjay): They are related and it is to do with the timing of 4G for us. That is the issue that delayed us. We are engaged with all of the providers in the industry and we feel very comfortable with the fast forward here. We believe that we will launch both devices with 4G capabilities in the summer here.

Translation: We are having a real hard time figuring out how to get 4g to work on both of these devices. Verizon is really, really pissed. We are working closely with them by taking their execs out to lots of expensive dinners and luxurious suites at sporting events. We really, really hope we can get this all resolved before summer, or we're going to be completely hosed.

Follow-up question: So once you sell one, you sell the other and they both come out at the same time?

Translation: God I hope so, or there are going to be a LOT of ticked off investors.

Question: On the delay of the Bionic was it a hardware chip side issue or software issue or a response to the competitive landscape?
Motorola (Sanjay): It was really a software issue of getting the performance to a place that both ourselves and our partner Verizon Wireless were comfortable launching the device. And as you understand there is a great deal of complexity in launching any new technology like this and that was probably the main matter at heart here.

Translation: It was both, and wow did we royally screw up on this one. We had a whole team of engineers scratching their heads. We really had no idea what to do, so we waited until the last possible minute before some leaks forced us to admit that something was wrong. Building phones are hard.

Beardface

Reaction score
http://www.droid-life.com/2011/04/2...lay-launching-at-same-time-as-4g-lte-on-xoom/
Question: Does the push out of the Bionic impact the product lineup for the backend of the year or does the Bionic overlap other products you planned to put out in Q3?

Motorola (Sanjay): It was really a software issue of getting the performance to a place that both ourselves and our partner Verizon Wireless were comfortable launching the device. And as you understand there is a great deal of complexity in launching any new technology like this and that was probably the main matter at heart here..

Translation: If you want something that works, go with the Thunderbolt, cause we have no clue what we're doing right now.

grgguy

Reaction score
^ I think you nailed it in your translation of his BS...... NICE!!!

OP
Preach2k

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
DroidNCState

Translation: If you want something that works, go with the Thunderbolt, cause we have no clue what we're doing right now.

Sorry Tested the TB for a couple of days. I got better battery life from my Storm rebooting it 5 times a day. And much better battery life from my old DX I gave to my wife. I will pass on that phone.. rather keep my Storm1 or get an Dx rather then purchase the TB... The Evo 3D should of been the TB then I would consider it. Dual Core is the future. I will Purchase a Dual Core phone this Summer!!! If it GS2 or Targa/Bionic!!!

Last edited:

BlacknTan

Reaction score
The delays aren't all that surprising if you really think about it. In the Droid Bionic you have two completely new technologies coming out in the same phone at the same time. Both a dual core processor on an android smartphone, AND LTE.

There's probably a reason why we're seeing a whole lot of single core phones with LTE, and dual core phones without, but not both of them together.

Really Moto, I don't mind the wait. My lowly OG droid will limp along. Since the Galaxy S2 will probably NOT have LTE, there's no real competitors that offer BOTH LTE and dual-core in the immediate future on Verizon. Just make sure you have that Bionic out before one comes along, because my patience has its limits.

Beardface

Reaction score

Sorry Tested the TB for a couple of days. I got better battery life from my Storm rebooting it 5 times a day. And much better battery life from my old DX I gave to my wife. I will pass on that phone.. rather keep my Storm1 or get an Dx rather then purchase the TB... The Evo 3D should of been the TB then I would consider it. Dual Core is the future. I will Purchase a Dual Core phone this Summer!!! If it GS2 or Targa/Bionic!!!
Thats fine... you can continue to wait for a phone that is still only rumored to come out... one that has already failed once... one that has been plagued with issues from the start... one that has no guarantee of ever working...

I'll just be fine and happy with my phone that is not only working, but working well. You complain about battery issues... I have not had any of these issues. The battery drains, sure... but no moreso than my Droid did...

To each his own, I guess

OP
Preach2k

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
DroidNCState

Thats fine... you can continue to wait for a phone that is still only rumored to come out... one that has already failed once... one that has been plagued with issues from the start... one that has no guarantee of ever working...

I'll just be fine and happy with my phone that is not only working, but working well. You complain about battery issues... I have not had any of these issues. The battery drains, sure... but no moreso than my Droid did...

To each his own, I guess

If you can remember Correctly The TB had problems.. Remember it was Officially called The Incredible HD.. It was rumored to be released last October. It was originally 3G then the replace the Radio and made it 4G then released it with known Battery issues in February... Yes they are having problems but I rather they fix the problem before releasing it with the problems. Like the Storm with the issues I had with that. The TB and the Battery issues. I had No Problems with my DX when I had it. just gave it up to my wife so I can use her upgrade... So yes I do not mind the wait and I do not mind them scrapping the Original product as long as they put out a great product like the DX when they do release it. The OG Droid and The DX are Great products and I have not seen anything from HTC better other then the Nexus In my opinion...

Last edited:

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I absolutely prefer motorola. I cant tell you how many phones i have seen...relatives included that have an htc phone with a shattered and spidered screen. I prefer motorola even with the locked bootloader.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I absolutely prefer motorola. I cant tell you how many phones i have seen...relatives included that have an htc phone with a shattered and spidered screen. I prefer motorola even with the locked bootloader.

I dunno about that. I've had an HTC Incredible since the day it came out. It's fallen on the concrete and asphalt several times, both with and without a case, and it has held up great. No cracked or spiderweb screen in the least.

Loooney2ns

Reaction score
I hope it winds up looking more like the Etna, rather than the Targa. The Targa looks like every other phone out there. The Etna looks really sweet with those rounded corners!