Putting Apps on SD Card?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by D3C4F, Apr 8, 2010.

1. D3C4F

D3C4F New Member

I know that this is probably already answered here on the forums but I couldn't find it with a couple searches.

What is the easiest way to put all my apps on my SD card so I can just reinstall the .apk. I want to do this so I don't have to try to remember what apps to re-download every time I flash a new ROM.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Tanknspank

Tanknspank Beta Team Premium Member

You can try a backup app, such as MyBackup or Titanium Backup. MyBackup pro is mainly for non root users, but can do the same things as Titanium Backup which is for root users. Make your pick.
  3. D3C4F

D3C4F New Member

I use Titanium Backup, but when I wipe data/cache Titanium backup gets erased too...
  4. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

Redownload it from the market. Regardless of what application you use, unless you put it in the system folder, it is going to get deleted on a factory reset.

The apps will still be on your sdcard, and titanium will recognize them when you reinstall it.
  5. D3C4F

D3C4F New Member

OH! Okay thanks that's really all I needed to know. I might try putting some apps in the system folder as well... is there any risk that goes along with that?
  6. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

Well not really, but there are 2 problems with it. First, the system partition isn't exactly very roomy. Some ROMs are worse than others, Koush's Cyanogen ROM is very tight fit in the system partition. That really isn't a big issue unless you really get into themeing .

The second problem is it may break updatability. I have moved apps to /system/app/ before but I had them modified, never a pure stock app. Logically I would think it would break updates though, because by default the system partition is set to RO, and you have to set it to RW before doing anything to it. This includes installing or uninstalling things. I definitely could be wrong on this one though.

I usually use Titanium myself, but I just redownload it from the market. I think moving it to system would be too much trouble than it is worth. Also, everytime you change a ROM you will lose it. You will have to redownload it, and move it again. Personally I would suggest you leave it, but nothing bad will happen if you do decide to move it though. I try and not move anything else to system that I don't have to.
  7. D3C4F

D3C4F New Member

Alright, I'll stick with re-downloading Ti Backup then. Thanks for all your help :D
Search tags for this page

how to hack app and put on sd card

motorola phone put apllications on sd card

put an app on an sd card droid

putting apps and pictures on micro sd card

putting apps on sd card android

which apps to put on sd card