Purpose of the LOST.DIR directory on SDcard???

baboon619

Reaction score
I am having some issues with my SDcard and noticed that the LOST.DIR directory has 111 files in it and keeps growing. I am sure I can delete all the files in there and be safe but I would really like to know what the purpose of this folder is and how these files end up here???

My ultimate problem is writing to the SDcard. I get errors all over the place with anything that has to write to the SD. Example... pictures are not saved when using camera, file manager says the card is full (nowhere close 10g free), Dolphin browser can't save a downloaded file due to no memory, market cannot update an app that is installed on the SD due to "missing USB mass storage".

All of these are not consistent nor do they happen all the time. Phone will be good for about 3 days after a reboot or an hour or not at all. This is my second SDcard and is a 16g Class 10. Class 10 maybe too high for the X?

kevinkar

Reaction score
I don't know what's required or not on the SD card but it might be worth a try to connect your phone to your computer, copy all the data off the SD card to a backup folder on the PC and then wipe/reformat the SD card to see if that solves any issues you are having.

Since you said this is already a second card, then you might have pretty much already accomplished this test so I'm probably talking out my you know what. However, it shouldn't be due to the speed rating of the card. Except for some stupid Sony memory stick pro duo whiz bang cards that are not backwards compatible with regular memory stick slots, I've never seen a CF or SD card that was not backwards compatible with slower slots.

Try reformatting the card again and see if that helps. You should also consider checking your apps to see if any of them are suspect. Unless you are willing to reset the phone and load the apps one by one testing over several days, it can be tough to find if an app is the culprit.

Good luck.

pool_shark

Reaction score
In Unix the lost & found directory is for orphaned files and/or directories. They become orphaned due the OS no longer having the correct pointers to those files.

jonathon1289

Reaction score
Motorola says the DX only supports up to a class 6. but it should still work, just as the lower (my experience).

OP
baboon619

baboon619

Reaction score
Those orphan files are mostly half picture files and other unknown type. Can't make out most of them, just junk. So that does make a lot of sense being orphan files.

I have heard Dx is class6 but wasn't sure about having the class10 slow down to the speed of the class6.

Tonight I will be wiping the SDcard with a reformat and do a system cache clear to see where that gets me. This would be the 3rd format of the card in 2 months but haven't tried a system clear at the same time. If this doesn't work I'll do the SDcard wipe, system clear and a factory reset.

I can't believe any of the apps are causing the problem except for maybe ADW launcher but i'll be finding out soon enough.

From my Dx humanoid

OP
baboon619

baboon619

Reaction score
What is the best way to wipe and format the SDcard?

I am removing the SD from phone and plugging it into a win7 computer and using a program called SDFormatter.

From my Dx humanoid

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Its best to format it in the phone. But get anything off it you want to save first.

end of line...