1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Pulling the Trigger to Frozen Yougurt 2.2 :P

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by CmdBash, Jul 15, 2010.

1. CmdBash

CmdBash New Member

So I have been going all over the Web looking into Froyo 2.2 on my Motorola Droid I just recently Rooted my Stock 2.1 Ive been seeing a lot of posts like this http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...royo-step-step-installation-2.html#post528613 but all seem to entail wiping your cache and loading it back to your factory setting.

I really dont want to reset my phone, I love all my little changes that I have made to it. When I was at the Stock 2.0.1 I download the 2.1 update.zip updated it way back when and was able to retain all of my settings.

So what im getting down to is, is it worth waiting for Motorola to release the official update.zip to 2.2? I heard you loose root and Superuser access.
  2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/55467-even-more-froyo.html

If you are already rooted then you don't need to use a step by step instruction. Just follow the instructions on the link I gave you.
  3. Tallica

Tallica Premium Member Premium Member

These answers are all of this board.

If you do an OTA update you will lose root.
    If you don't want to ever reset your phone, You should not load any Custom Roms and should be careful what you download.

Don't know what the issue is though, I can Factory reset, load a brand new Rom and get everything back to the way it just was in less then an hour...thank you Titanium Backup.
  4. CmdBash

CmdBash New Member

Thank you for your quick reply, I had looked at this post. My concern is does it have all of the features that 2.2 is intended to have :( I know im asking a lot and I know the information is out there Ive been on three different forums and its been some information overload considering I did a crash course in rooting and how custom recoveries work.
  5. CmdBash

CmdBash New Member

Here is my game plan, im going to use ClockWorkMod Recovery to create a ROM of my current setup, I will then use Titanium to create a backup and im going to jump ahead and pull the trigger!

Thanks for the boost in confidence and the push.
  6. CmdBash

CmdBash New Member

That worked! Now the real question, should I leave the kernel or pop in ChevyNo1's?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  7. Tallica

Tallica Premium Member Premium Member

U gotta try chevys, if nothing else to see what speed and voltage your phone will run stable. Try ULV and move up from there.
  8. DJRobNM

DJRobNM New Member

If you do an OTA update you will lose root.

So if my phone is OTA updated let's say, next month, and a year from now I want to root and install my own rom I will not be able to?

I'm good with 2.2 right now, but down the road when I replace my Droid with another phone, I think it would be fun to play around with or use as a secondary handheld computer.

I don't want to be locked out from modding this thing, I just don't want to mess with it while I need it to function as a phone.
  9. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose Super Moderator Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    Make sure that whatever kernel you choose to use is compatible with the ROM you are running. Some ROM's will not run with Chevy's just like some do not run with P3's. Go to the developer of your ROM's thread and see what others there are running or what the developer recommends for kernels. That way you do not throw yourself into a boot loop or have battery recognition issues.
  10. Phreaker47

Phreaker47 Member

I guess I'm a little late but I was going to recommend Chevy's SS 4.4, because he also has the bkapp/rstapp tool that quickly and easily does full backups and restores of all your apps, settings, and EVERYTHING (all I had to do was replace homescreen widgets and give root apps superuser access again the first time I ran them. EVERYTHING else was restored!) This release is based on the OTA release of Froyo for the Nexus One from 7/1/2010 and it's likely to be as "final" as Froyo gets. We'll see when the OTA update actually goes out for the Droid, but I don't imagine it's going to be any different.
  11. CmdBash

CmdBash New Member

Thanks everyone heres the run down of what Ive done.

I rooted my Stock OTA 2.1 Motorola Droid
    Placed ClockWorkMod Bootloader on there
    I downloaded the FRF84B Leak update ran that and worked extremely well!
    Then used Rom Manager to download ChevyNo1's 1.0GHz Low (Not Ultra Low) Kernel and this works amazing!

My home screen is LauncherPro Beta and so far I haven't found any conflicts with my apps.
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  12. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Glad you worked it all out. Enjoy.