Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
meh...I don't mind signing in to my accounts and things again. Helps me remember passwords. ;) Not to mention, the ability to "clone" another phone at setup that started with lollipop. Last time I did an fdr on my Nexus 7, I used my Note 4 to tell it which apps to install and etc. Had to go back and uninstall some that I don't need on my tablet, but it'll make setting up a new phone a heck of a lot easier. FDR's give me an excuse to thin the app drawer anyway.

kas1229

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 4 verizon
I just don't see any reason for root. I mean, sure, I could root it just to root it, but idk why I'd need to. Back in the day, I overclocked the cpu, had a screenshot app (before that became a standard feature) and stuff like that, but none of those things are really necessary imo these days.

I can't say that I'll never root it, but I'll only do so if there's some amazing thing that I just have to have that requires it. I'm in the same boat I was with the OG Droid before I got into rooting, rom'ing, and theming. I've come full circle. Haha!

If I'm not gonna run any custom rom, I REALLY don't see a point in rooting it. I like knowing it's all possible though, especially coming from the Note 4.
You pretty much told my story brother. I agree that I won't be doing custom roms or themes but I probably will unlock and possibly root just because I can.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I may do so as well. Especially if the Nexus toolbox supports it. Think I've still got that installed on my PC from back in the day. I won't do it out of the box though. That much I'm sure of.

kas1229

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 4 verizon
I may do so as well. Especially if the Nexus toolbox supports it. Think I've still got that installed on my PC from back in the day. I won't do it out of the box though. That much I'm sure of.
There's a toolbox available for the 5X and the 6p already that does just about anything you can imagine. I saw it yesterday droid forum news page.

kas1229

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 4 verizon
I just feel like why not root it and unlock wipes data anyway.. Do it before set up and you can leave it stock rest of the way.. That's just me.. Lol

NexusSix
I agree... Pretty much what I was saying

jpiarull

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z Force Droid
Twitter
jpiarull
Still pondering ordering this or Moto X Pure for the brother in law, I'd do 128 GB for sure. Which one to pick? Upgrade from GNexus for him.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Still pondering ordering this or Moto X Pure for the brother in law, I'd do 128 GB for sure. Which one to pick? Upgrade from GNexus for him.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Both are solid options and as close to stock android as you're gonna get. Coming from the gnex, there will be less shock than if you got him a Samsung phone with TouchWiz or something.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
You can't go wrong.. I'd lean towards the Huawei slightly faster from initial reviews.. and camera seems to be a winner.. But Moto does it right and you can customize look and SD card.. If coming from GNex I'd go Nexus.. This will blow it out the water experience wise..

NexusSix

mach330

Reaction score
Looks like I'm in the same boat as a lot of you. I stopped going in this forum after I got my note 4. I got tired of rooting and custom rom. I just wanted a phone stock. Lol.
Now I'm back and with soon to be 6p. But I also want it to be stock and enjoy the updates like normal people.

Tap'd via Note 4...

Moulton

Reaction score
So does getting this phone directly from Google mean I won't have to wait for Verizon to decide when I get updates?