Pull the trigger?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Can't decide whether or not to go by one of these bad boys, I was looking at paying full price the the 3G/Wifi version and just not using the 3G just yet. Not sure if it would be better to hold out a little longer for a better tablet to come out cause I am sure if I did that another is going to come out a few months after that even better than the one I wait for. So might as well get this one now and ride it out to see what they start coming up with.

Question I have is without rooting the update to activate the SD card is not out yet right? And it still does not have full flash support? I also read reports that the screen is kinda washed out on watching videos and the speakers are ill placed and not that great.

Can anyone give me some feedback on this thing, I have read through this whole forum and seen some positive feedback. Just wondering if there is something out there I am not taking into account. Or if someone has heard rumors I have not seen that a new better tablet is moments away.

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
Can't decide whether or not to go by one of these bad boys, I was looking at paying full price the the 3G/Wifi version and just not using the 3G just yet. Not sure if it would be better to hold out a little longer for a better tablet to come out cause I am sure if I did that another is going to come out a few months after that even better than the one I wait for. So might as well get this one now and ride it out to see what they start coming up with.

Question I have is without rooting the update to activate the SD card is not out yet right? And it still does not have full flash support? I also read reports that the screen is kinda washed out on watching videos and the speakers are ill placed and not that great.

Can anyone give me some feedback on this thing, I have read through this whole forum and seen some positive feedback. Just wondering if there is something out there I am not taking into account. Or if someone has heard rumors I have not seen that a new better tablet is moments away.

I would go with the WiFi only version if you never plan on using the 3G. Why pay the extra money? And I believe that the 3G had a requirement that you get 1 month of service before having it turned off for WiFi only. Not sure if that is still in effect or not, but that's another waste of money if so.

As far as waiting for something better, there will always be something coming out soon that you could wait for, but if you waited, you'd be waiting forever for the "next better thing".

Yes, the SD Card is still inactive unless you root and load one of the 3 or 4 custom kernels. All of them have that and many also have USB support for external HDD so storage issues go away. As far as Flash, I know I have Flash 10.3 installed, but website still aren't 100%. I just checked & I still can't play things on sites like albino blacksheep or jib jab which are heavy on Flash.

Videos playback on mine is BEAUTIFUL. No washed out videos. Might be the video that people were trying to play. I read about a player called QQ Player that lets me play video in more than just the MP4 format. Now I can load my AVI files on there and save at least half the space since the MP4 files ranged from 1.5GB to 4 GB. My AVI files range around 750MB. But like I said, with the USB external drive support in the custom kernel, I only have to wait for my USB Host cable to arrive before that isn't an issue any longer.
Yes, the speakers aren't the best, but for the most part, I've never had a portable device where the speakers were great. The HD Dock from Motorola has GREAT speakers on it and with the HDMI output on the back, I highly recommend you spend the extra bucks to get it.

Overall, I think you'll be happy with the Xoom. I rooted mine after about 2 weeks and it was really easy. The hardest part was setting up ADB and with the tutorial, even that was easy. If you go that route, I suggest this thread: [How To] Root The 3G/4G And Wifi-Only Xoom (Stock 3.1)

Much like the Droid 1, there are still some bugs to work out on the new device. But with the update to 3.1 earlier 2 weeks or so back, a lot of the issues were resolved - even though the Flash thing is still a bit off.

soulshot96

Reaction score
I'd wait for a galaxy tab 10.1. The screen is more clear, it thinner than the ipad2, I has a bigger battery than the xoom, its only 499 for the 16 gb version what more could you want!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums

OP
Sydman

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Yeah I was going to for the 3g one just in case we went on the road and wanted to us it I wouldn't mind signing up for one month of data to have it. Other than that I would be in a wifi environment only so it would be cheaper option just don't want to limit myself. If I am already spending 600 might as well go 800, I have some trade in credit with bestbuy and it is taking 200 off anyway. So I am getting the 3g for the wifi price anyway.

I might wait for the Samsung 10.1 to see how that is before I go with the Xoom. I have generally not been a fan of Samsung but they might wow me.

UNC

Reaction score
I was thinking of buying one off of Craigslist, but the permanent lack of LTE made me reconsider.... I'll just wait for the SE.

GSdub510

Reaction score
I was contemplating pulling the trigger but I hear the Xoom 2 will be coming out by Q3 or Q4 2011. I don't want buyer's remorse. Can someone back this up?

Sent from my Fascinate

OP
Sydman

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I would seriously doubt they will release the Xoom Q1 and the have another ready for Q3 or even Q4 of the same year. Especially when they don't have all the updates out promised to activate the SD port, full flash, or the chip upgrade to go 4G. I think what you heard there are bad rumors.

GSdub510

Reaction score
There will be a Xoom 2 by the end of the year

UNC

Reaction score
The LTE/T2 conflict will keep the Xoom off of LTE therefore I am certain that Moto will release a dual-core 1.5ghz+ TI-chipped Xoom with LTE support by the end of the year. It will probably be called the Xoom2....

GSdub510

Reaction score
Happy I didn't get a Xoom. Would have felt like an idiot considering there's a better one coming several months from now...

Last edited:

Steady Hawkin

Fueling The Revolution
Developer
Reaction score
Happy I didn't get a Xoom. Would have felt like an idiot considering there's a better one coming several months from now...

If you based buying decesions on the fact that something better would come out, you would never buy anything. I love my xoom and have never regretted buying it. Not to mention there is no release date for the xoom2.

UNC

Reaction score

If you based buying decesions on the fact that something better would come out, you would never buy anything. I love my xoom and have never regretted buying it. Not to mention there is no release date for the xoom2.

I agree with you, but if you don't buy in the launch month I think its generally better to wait for the next big launch.

GSdub510

Reaction score
You guys are both right. One thing to buy it at launch and another to buy it in June... you guys see the supposedly new design of the Xoom 2? Droid Life posted it, real nice

OP
Sydman

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Yeah I think I have waited this long I am just going to wait for the 2 and get that one.