PSA: Fake Funeral Home Billboard Wants You to Text and Drive

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

It apparently can NOT be said enough because there are still folks who make this mistake, but you simply have to remove the habit of texting while driving from your psyche. There is never a time when it's more important to respond to that text than it is to pay attention to the road. Just think about how little time you are spending on the road, and you will realize it can wait until you get home.

If it is a drastic or emergency situation, then pull over and stop somewhere to text. Your text is not worth risking your (or another person's) life!

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Business is booming.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
When I see someone texting and driving I yell "RATE SUCKER" at them.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
That ad is in poor taste. Though I suppose it is shocking enough to get people's attention of the real problem.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
That ad is in poor taste. Though I suppose it is shocking enough to get people's attention of the real problem.
"fake funeral ad". It's not real.

Yeah, but I still agree, it's very distasteful. Imagine being the surviving family of someone who died in a car crash due to texting and then you are driving along and see that. It's enough to trigger a deeply depressing grieving feeling.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Yeah, but I still agree, it's very distasteful. Imagine being the surviving family of someone who died in a car crash due to texting and then you are driving along and see that. It's enough to trigger a deeply depressing grieving feeling.

Imagine being a surviving family member of someone who killed themselves with a gun. I don't hold the gun responsible. Pain full sure but you have to see the bigger picture too. Life is precious and doing something that distracts you, can take your life.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Imagine being a surviving family member of someone who killed themselves with a gun. I don't hold the gun responsible. Pain full sure but you have to see the bigger picture too. Life is precious and doing something that distracts you, can take your life.
I don't disagree, but billboards promoting gun safety don't pose as promoting suicide (i.e. they don't say "Shoot Yourself"), so I stand by my opinion... Bad taste at the very least.

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2

Eh...I see both sides on this one. I mean, I can't personally relate to this exact situation but I've also known what it's like to lose someone. I don't let certain advertisements/images affect me either. However, I am not most people. In my opinion, I became stronger after the loss of my daughter. I don't get upset when I see twins walking around or if I see one of my family members children in the NICU. Heck, my brother has a pair of twin girls. It's not fair to them if I get upset every time I see them. Understandably, I do get upset if someone talks about it or if someone mentions her name, but I don't let outside factors that mimic my situation affect me (although I don't know any advertising that would do so...maybe a hospital or statistic ad??? *shrugs*).

Regardless, it is something that could offend somebody, but maybe they should not let it affect them so much. On the other hand, if it does bother some and the advertising company knew that...then maybe it is in poor taste and they should've ran a more tasteful ad campaign like a statistics ad. I see both sides, it is a huge gray area and my personal experience does play a factor in a lot of it.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Eh...I see both sides on this one. I mean, I can't personally relate to this exact situation but I've also known what it's like to lose someone. I don't let certain advertisements/images affect me either. However, I am not most people. In my opinion, I became stronger after the loss of my daughter. I don't get upset when I see twins walking around or if I see one of my family members children in the NICU. Heck, my brother has a pair of twin girls. It's not fair to them if I get upset every time I see them. Understandably, I do get upset if someone talks about it or if someone mentions her name, but I don't let outside factors that mimic my situation affect me (although I don't know any advertising that would do so...maybe a hospital or statistic ad??? *shrugs*).

Regardless, it is something that could offend somebody, but maybe they should not let it affect them so much. On the other hand, if it does bother some and the advertising company knew that...then maybe it is in poor taste and they should've ran a more tasteful ad campaign like a statistics ad. I see both sides, it is a huge gray area and my personal experience does play a factor in a lot of it.
It's the shock and awe factor they're going for and I get it, but it's still bad taste. It would be different if it was a public service announcement put up there by a hospital or fire company (in other words health care or first responders - attempting to save lives), but not by a company whose sole way of making money is by taking advantage of families of the deceased at their most vulnerable moment, selling them extremely overpriced caskets and fake consoling their grieving members at funeral homes.

Makes me sick.

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
It's the shock and awe factor they're going for and I get it, but it's still bad taste. It would be different if it was a public service announcement put up there by a hospital or fire company (in other words health care or first responders - attempting to save lives), but not by a company whose sole way of making money is by taking advantage of families of the deceased at their most vulnerable moment, selling them extremely overpriced caskets and fake consoling their grieving members at funeral homes.

Makes me sick.

Oh yeah. It is despicable. Don't even get me started on costs. Luckily, we found a funeral home that really worked with us and provided us the best options. They didn't try to swindle us or upsell us on useless junk. It wasn't our first stop but luckily we didn't settle.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It's frustrating, I don't know how many times I see people cruising along in a merge lane, or holding up traffic to text or look at social media. No msg is that important.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
It's frustrating, I don't know how many times I see people cruising along in a merge lane, or holding up traffic to text or look at social media. No msg is that important.

I agree, and I don't think anyone is arguing that fact. My whole point is that sometimes advertising is cloaked behind distasteful and predatory messages. This IMHO is just that. How many people are actually going to have the need for a funeral director at just that moment, read that billboard and decide that's the one they're going to use because of that message? If it were me I would take the time to call them, let them know that I've lost a loved one, was in need of such services, but that their billboard was so insensitive that I wouldn't ever consider using them, then hang up.

Also, how many people do you think are actually going to change their texting while driving habits as a result of such a message? Those who do read it and who do text and drive would probably find that billboard funny and then go right back to texting while driving.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Everything is gonna offend someone. I mean seriously someone is gonna get offended by the thing, someone would be offended had they not done it, someone is gonna get offended when they take it down. It's America, the land of the free to become offended.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Everything is gonna offend someone. I mean seriously someone is gonna get offended by the thing, someone would be offended had they not done it, someone is gonna get offended when they take it down. It's America, the land of the free to become offended.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><
I agree, but it's not that people are more easily offended now than they were in past generations. It's just that in past generations they would bite their lip and deal with it. Today is politically correct to make a personal issue into a public one.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk