ps3 to droidx 3g hotspot, does it work?

brian4120

Reaction score
I'm sure it would work, but I would worry about the bandwidth limitations of using a ps3 on 3g

scoder

Reaction score
My 360 doesn't suffer much. Once in a while I get some lag. If i get a call, I'm screwed lol. Just be careful and don't use too many gigs of data or Verizon may come knocking.

OP
V

volsportsfan

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Im out in the middle of nowhere and would love to download different things for my ps3.

igknight

Reaction score
I can't get my PS3 nor my Wii to connect to my Droid X. They can see the network, but wont connect. Same when I had the droid.

N0S4ATU

Reaction score
I can't get my PS3 nor my Wii to connect to my Droid X. They can see the network, but wont connect. Same when I had the droid.

Is your X rooted or are you using the paid hotspot?

I've searched and searched and I can't seem to find a clear answer on whether or not the PS3 can connect to the X's hotspot, either rooted or paid.

Anyone know for sure?

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I can answer part of it. My x is rooted running wireless tether. Wii can see network but will not connect to it getting an error message. Ps3/psp can't see network. Anything microsoft works on it without problems, can connect multiple pcs, xboxs, winmo phones. Take it for what its worth.

OP
V

volsportsfan

Reaction score
Had my droidx 4 days now and i can assure you that it does work.
I pay for the 3g hotspot and i have already successfully downloaded tecmo super bowl. Ps3 recognized my phone i typed in my security code and i was immediately surfing the ps3 store. One quick tip, i had to turn my phone sideways to get best reception.

igknight

Reaction score
My Droid X is rooted, and so was my Droid1. Have tried both the Wireless Tether and Barnacle Wifi Tether. Both Wii and PS3 see but can not connect.

Only think I can thin of is they won't connect to an Ad-Hoc network? Volsportsfan, does the 3ghotspot program say its an ad-hoc when you search for it on your PS3?

OP
V

volsportsfan

Reaction score
igknight it is not an Ad-hoc network i am using. I hit 3g mobile on my x, i then set my ps3 to wireless, it recognized my phone, it automatically received all my phones wireless info and all i had to do is type in my phones wep or wpa (can't remember) password and i was in. Media station really helps my phones signal strength. Can't stay online more than a min. without it.

shadowgodd

Reaction score
I love False ads

i bought my X2 mainly so i can use its 3G Hotspot, it would be nice if my crap would connect to it. ever since i got this phone i have grown to hate it even more, "Droid the dumbest smart phone on earth". i think ima sell this X2 and get a PSP Vita at least it will do what it says it'll do! feed my PS3 3G, message friends, play games with friends, run apps, take pics, record video, and even call friend via skype or ATT phone plan. idk, i hate droid now, that much is for sure. bought X2 for its mobile hotspot and for its HDMI features... and not getting the cord with the phone like it should have been also pissed me off... sorry im just pissed that i spent 300$ on a phone... thats pretty much all it is, is a phone and a flashlight... games lag to much to play or even get into, videos have issues playing, recorded videos have issues transferring, and i have had to reformat the damn thing twice already and because of that I dont use it for apps now or really anything but txt and calls... hell even my music glitches and lags so i dont use it as an music player either. like i say its just an expensive walkie-talkie not worth buying in my opinion take it from an unhappy droid owner Droid X2 sucks

jeepxj96

Reaction score
i couldnt get it to work with wireless tether. but i used easytether on my laptop. did a shared connection. took a ethernet cable from laptop and connected it to the ps3. worked great, but downloading anything is slow. gaming online worked pretty well tho.

steelersfan

Reaction score
I use wireless tether 2.0.7 and have no problems with my d2d. Not sure if it will work with the Droid x though.

D2G CyanogenMod7

flip8882

Reaction score
i use pdanet and wire tether into my computer to my xbox 360 i can get you a video to learn how to do it pretty easy if you decide to do this i can help out if you have problems i have been doing this for about a year or so now, ( i have the unlimited plan for internet so i have been up to about 30 gb used in one month they haven't screwed around with my internet so i wouldn't worry about usage) and whatever your signal is i run about 88 to 87 dBm and i don't lag very often.

and if you get a text or phone call your screwed if your doing good on a game.

doing this with hotspot all you have to do is connect wireless with your phone to your computer and wire with ethernet to your PS3 then you have to do a couple things on your computer then your connected.

Last edited: