PS3 need kernel access?

Skeemask

Reaction score
I've been following the PS3 hacks of late and they're doing some on the Android devices that are floating around. Just wondering if anyone knew if it was being worked on for the X?

The unfortunate thing is that I think it needs a custom kernel on the device. Can anyone confirm whether or not this is the case? And what about a module that can be injected? Would something like that even be possible?

Thanks guys.

Arcstriker

Reaction score
I have done this using my old Droid 1, and it worked great. I was using the OTA 2.2 update, rooted, made a backup (MUST), flashed the ps3 update file, hacked ps3, then flashed back my backup.

I have not heard much on a Droid X version, however I will say this:

When the phone is flashed in PS3 hack mode, you cannot charge the phone because it hijacks the USB port, so you have to go back to your back up.

It doesn't seem like a big deal, but you have to do the hack EVERY time you turn on your PS3. (it gets old.) and there is also a big risk of Sony banning your machine from online use as well as limited to no online play while hacked.

If your still hard up for it, I recommend buying the USB device they sell... less aggravation.

OP
Skeemask

Skeemask

Reaction score
Didn't realize you had to have your phone hooked up every time. Thanks for that info.

I'm not too worried about getting banned, because I have two PS3's. Had a friend and the drive stopped working in his. He gave it to me and bought a new one, and I switched out the drive. No warranty on it or anything but it works, so it would be the perfect machine to do the hack on.

The USB board are sold out everywhere for the Teensy++ boards though, and I don't want homebrew bad enough to spend $150, so guess I'll wait until the PSP port comes out or something.

Thanks for the information Arcstriker!

Arcstriker

Reaction score
That would be the best bet. Unless the Droid X version allows you to charge the phone while still in PS3 hack mode... but I doubt it. I've searched all over and found nothing for the X. or if you got your hands on an old Droid 1, it doesn't have to activated or anything to do the PS3 hack.

OP
Skeemask

Skeemask

Reaction score
I was already looking at something like that. iPhone 2g's are going pretty cheap on eBay, so might go that direction