Ps3 died

jcwilliams

Reaction score
My ps3 died and I'm getting a new one. it won't bout up just flashes a red light at me. My question is how can I, if I can, transfer my stuff to my new one?
Thanks

rctp10

Reaction score
My ps3 died and I'm getting a new one. it won't bout up just flashes a red light at me. My question is how can I, if I can, transfer my stuff to my new one?
Thanks

Basically your screwed unless you have a heat gun and a laser temp gun. If you have those two things and some skill with repair you can tear the whole ps3 down to the mother board and you will have to heat the two big chips on the board. I just had to do the same damn thing last month. I did fix mine and it is working again just a little louder lol. This is the only way you can do it.

What game were you Playing? I was playing Skyrim when mine rlod.

OP
jcwilliams

jcwilliams

Reaction score
I don't have a heat gun but I will def borrow one and try it...it sucks. It's an old one. The fat 60GB backwards compatible one. I did tear it all down and clean it. But still no go. My game is still stuck in it. I was playing cod black ops.

rctp10

Reaction score
you might be able to do it if you have a good hair dryer but the temp gun is kinda important. Basically all your doing is melting the solder on the inside so it makes connection again. Im sure you could do it if you had a hair dryer. You will need to take the whole disk drive apart to get to the disk im almost positive though that there is a lil pin hole that will eject the disk.

rctp10

Reaction score
You will want to get the temp of the chips up to around 300 degrees (F) Make sure you have it laying very even because the board will get so hot it will warp. Then after you've heated it hot enough you will want to let it sit to get back down around 100 degrees. then put it all back together and it should work, Hate to tell you though, alot of games wont let you save on top of save data from another ps3. I lost all my Skyrim progress. (About 1 months worth of gaming gone.)

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
My son in law got his older PS3 to come back to life, twice, using the heat gun method.... so it can be done

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Oven, man, oven! Yes, the one in your kitchen! And before we get into a debate about which method is better, both methods (heatgun/hairdryer and oven) are TEMPORARY and safe, relatively-speaking.

425F for 10 minutes, then remove from oven to cool for 20 minutes; cover the mobo in a layer or two of aluminum foil, leave the GPU and CPU exposed, make sure that thermal paste is cleaned off of them, and try to keep the board flat, I know it's hard with those two power supply pins... Smoke and reddish-copper stains on the mobo is/are normal!.. Probably a good idea to open a window lol.

Good luck.

OP
jcwilliams

jcwilliams

Reaction score
Thanks guys I'm working on this as we speak. About to heat it up!

Last edited:
OP
jcwilliams

jcwilliams

Reaction score
Cooking it right now will respond when all done with result.

OP
jcwilliams

jcwilliams

Reaction score
Anyone know the best way to transfer everything from one ps3 to another?

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Glad it worked... the data transfer tool on the PS3 (settings somewhere) is best, pretty much the only way really. Just remember, you only have about a month of moderate use per reflow.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums