PS3 Controller, stock ICS, no root?

NeverdelSol

Reaction score
I know you can use the SixAxis app from the Play store, I've already bought and used it on my Droid X. I'm trying to see if anyone else has figured out how to get the DS3 to pair with the Razr on ICS without root. I can change the MAC the controller syncs with so it tries to pair with the phone, but that's as far as I can get. Any ideas?

OP
NeverdelSol

NeverdelSol

Reaction score
This is as far as I can get. I did read something about the passkey being passed through USB, so I'm wondering if I need to find a way to hook the controller directly to the phone..
Screenshot_2012-07-24-20-24-41.pngScreenshot_2012-07-24-20-24-52.pngScreenshot_2012-07-24-20-25-02.png

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
This is as far as I can get. I did read something about the passkey being passed through USB, so I'm wondering if I need to find a way to hook the controller directly to the phone..

While I haven't tried it on a phone, I know that on my unrooted Transformer TF300, I can use a PS3 controller over Bluetooth without root if I first connect it via the USB port on the dock while Bluetooth is on. After the TF300 recognizes the controller, I can unplug it from the USB port, and it works just fine. So, I'm pretty sure what you read is correct about the passkey being passed through USB.

I have one of these USB OTG cables on the way to use mainly for connecting USB drives to my phone. I just sold my MAXX, but I'll see if using it allows the PS3 controller to work with my S3 in the same way that it does with my TF300.

OP
NeverdelSol

NeverdelSol

Reaction score
That would be neat. I had completely forgotten about the Transformer thing, as I owned a TF100 earlier this year.

If I could also possibly find a female-female USB coupler, maybe that could be used to connect a controller straight to the phone as well..

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
This morning I received the USB OTG cable I linked to above. On my S3, the PS3 controller does work while plugged in via USB with the cable. But, unlike the TF300, if I plug it in while Bluetooth is on, let the phone register the controller, and then unplug the controller, it doesn't continue to work over Bluetooth. I tried several different things, but I wasn't able to get it to work while unplugged from the USB OTG cable. So, at least on the S3, the PS3 controller won't work over Bluetooth even after being directly connected via USB. It works great while connected via USB though (as does a wired 360 controller).

DroidWasteland

Reaction score
I was able to get OTG working on my RAZR MAXX, and an Xbox 360 controller works great, but the phone still refuses to recognize my DualShock 3 over USB or bluetooth. Has anyone had any luck with this yet? TIA!

SirTomOfCanada

Reaction score
Answer to your prayers

[video=youtube;KwjBWDhm9xU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwjBWDhm9xU&feature=plcp[/video] This guy design a clip for this exact purpose