Proximity sensor problem?

natalie33

Reaction score
mine has been doing that since yesterday...i have to actually slide the keyboard out to "wake it up" and once i had to plug it in to the charger to wake it up. BUT...this all started after i put on a plastic case i just bought...took it back off & wa-la! no more probs...think it blocks the sensor or something b/c without it on it works perfectly fine. guess i'll just have to deal with it if i want my phone to look "cute" :p

LT*

Reaction score
I'm having this same issue. Once, even sliding the keyboard out didn't wake it up. This has been happening since I got it on the 18th. It got better for a few days, and then started doing it again this morning. I had called vzcs the first night I had it and they ran through the "factory reset" and battery pull options and then told me to bring it in for exchange. The next morning when I tested it, it had stopped doing it and was acting how it should. I think I may bring it in for a swap.

LrdElderon

Reaction score
This might not help anyone, but I notice that when my screen starts acting up like that on calls, especially when i need to use the dial pad to access automated menu options that the screen has oil all over from the side of face. Once I use a micro cloth and wipe the screen down, especially at the top where I think the prox sensor is, it usually starts behaving properly again so maybe plastic screen protector with skin oil over it prevents it from working properly?.

LT*

Reaction score
Just got back from Verizon and had the Droid swapped out for a new one. They had never heard of this issue, but it was reproducible in the store thankfully. Using Sensor Test app proved to me that bright light was interfering with the proximity sensor and causing it to malfunction. the new one works flawlessly even in bright light, so good to go.

OP
hacku

hacku

Reaction score
I'm still randomly having this issue and it's beginning to get quite annoying. Not sure if I want to take it in and get it swapped, or hope that when the 2.1 update comes out it fixes this issue. :(

STIDRIVER

Reaction score
Made a new thread about this myself yesterday... It was suggested I download Screebl, which I did.. I just haven't been able to test it out too much yet. Very annoying issue...

OP
hacku

hacku

Reaction score
Made a new thread about this myself yesterday... It was suggested I download Screebl, which I did.. I just haven't been able to test it out too much yet. Very annoying issue...

The problem with an app like that is that when you're using the phone if the screen doesn't turn off with the proximity sensor you're going to be pushing numbers with your face.

I think that if 2.1 doesn't come out before my 30 days are over, I'm going to go and exchange it for a new one.

10ACTony

Reaction score

The problem with an app like that is that when you're using the phone if the screen doesn't turn off with the proximity sensor you're going to be pushing numbers with your face.

I think that if 2.1 doesn't come out before my 30 days are over, I'm going to go and exchange it for a new one.

The program has an option to have the phone operate normally when in a call. It works great and really does save the battery. I' been using it for several weeks.

OP
hacku

hacku

Reaction score
I had same issue...Honestly did *228, option 1...and it fixed it. I have not had for over a week now. :)

All that does is program the phone with Verizon's network. It has nothing to do with the actual functionality of the phone.

TrishtheDish

Reaction score
I just also want to share that I too had this problem with the screen turning off as soon as I placed a call, and on the contrary when an incoming call came in, the screen would stay ON all of the time. It turned out to be Advanced Task Killer. Like Cereal Killer, as soon as I got rid of that heap, the phone started working properly.