Proud Moto Droid owner!

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by justinmooty, May 8, 2010.

1. justinmooty

justinmooty New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello fellow Droidians!

I have a question about where I should put a thread. I want to ask about how to tether my Moto Droid to my laptop so I can play WoW on it because I currently don't have an alternative source of internet. I'm using PDAnet, but I've heard it isn't possible with this app. What would be an appropriate place to ask such a question?

Thank you for your time, and letting me be part of such a great community! :)

2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    :welcome: to the Droid Forums. I've moved you into the hacking area for further assistance, however you may want to read the stickies and start getting an understanding of what rooting is.

Good luck to you.

3. justinmooty

justinmooty New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for moving my thread, and for the warm welcome! Oh dear, I'm fairly familiar with rooting and I suppose I'm willing to go that far to use my Droid to give me service to play WoW or use my uTorrent client!

Again, I'm wanting tether my Motorola Droid to my laptop that's running Windows Vista 32bit so I can use uTorrent and play Wow and Warcraft 3: TFT. My Droid is unrooted currently, but if necessary I'm willing to root my phone. I'm currently using the paid version of PDAnet, but it doesn't allow for the things mentioned above because it seems to limit the amount connections your computer can make at once.

Thank you for your time, and thank you in advance for any advice or help you have to offer :)

4. Xerozix

Xerozix Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Justin, I'd imagine that you're running Android 2.1.

The only way that I can imagine you doing this, is by reverting to Android 2.0.1, rooting, then installing Cyanogen, which supports tethering like you want.

That took me about an hour to do, give or take and not including downloads.

I'll give you instructions for each step.

Step 1: Revert to 2.0.1

First, you need to install the necessary drivers and software to revert to 2.0.1.

Mind to let you know, this completely wipes your phone, so you have to re-download all of your applications. This does leave your SD card in tact though. You'll need to reactivate.

Now you can live without fear of bricking - Android Forums

^^^ That'll teach you how to get back to 2.0.1.

Step 2: Root 2.0.1

Then, you'll need to root your droid. To root, you download the attached file, and put that on your SD Card. Then, you turn off the phone, then open up the keyboard. Hold down the X key and start the phone. You'll get to a screen where there is a ! in a triangle. At that point, close the phone, and press both the volume up and camera buttons. Then find the area where it says flash update.zip and do that.

Once it's rooted, you'll need to boot back up into Android.

Step 3: Install the Cyanogen Rom

To install the cyanogen rom, go into Android Market and look for Rom Manager.

Install the free edition, and flash the first thing at the top.

Then, go into Download Roms, and choose Cyanogen. Download the Cyanogen at the very top, and be sure to choose both to backup and wipe your data and etc.

It'll shut down the phone, and reboot it into recovery, which will backup, then wipe your phone to install Cyanogen. After that, your phone will boot back up.

From that point on, you can use either USB tethering, found in Settings>Wireless Settings>USB Tethering, or WIFI tethering, which is an application. Be sure to grant root access to these applications.

Have fun with Cyanogen.

Other than that,I have no idea.

Update.zip

I've uploaded it to my own server, since it's too big to upload here.

http://www.airlias.com/files/files/update.zip

Last edited: May 8, 2010
  5. Vulnus

Vulnus New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Be careful with how much data you use. You should monitor it and make sure it doesn't seem too outrageous.

6. EmmVeePee

EmmVeePee Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Don't be proud of things you own, unless its a superbowl ring.

7. EmmVeePee

EmmVeePee Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This is a bit misleading. You don't need to install the Cyanogen ROM, or any ROM. Using Barnacle Tether (Market) you don't even need a custom kernel. You can just root, flash SPRecovery, and install Barnacle Tether.

If you do decide to go with a ROM, there are many options, and you can read up and decide which is best for you.

8. justinmooty

justinmooty New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Vulnus, I'll keep an eye on my data usage!

Xerozix why are roms suggested? From my understanding they aren't necessary for a rooted phone. Is this correct, or do I actually have to use a rom to have a functional rooted device? EmmVeePee suggested the same in his reply, and if it's possible to gain rooted functionality but use the default Android OS then I'd very much like to!

EmmVeePee that wifi app looks promising, and is much cheaper than the one I paid for! Will this allow me to achieve my desired internet connectivity?

9. neoxaero

neoxaero New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using PDAnet on the stock 2.1 rom.. My phone is currently rooted but PDAnet worked fine before I rooted the phone. I just followed the directions for installing PDAnet. Nothing special/extra had to be done. You do not _need_ to install a different rom to get this to work.

I use this pretty much every day at work so I can browse content that is blocked (gaming sites and such)

I've only used it in the USB mode. I just launched WoW and logged in without any problems. I will say this much - Verizon's network is horrible for attempting to play WoW.

You might be able to do some farming but thats going to be about it honestly. I've not seen lower than a 700ms ping while running the game.

You will be happy to know that uTorrent also works fine through the phone connection. Albeit some what slow.

Edit: This was posted on my desktop via a PDAnet internet connection

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  10. justinmooty

justinmooty New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    neoxaero mind=blown right now. Wow...I'm using the 2.1 stock rom right now as well and PDAnet v2.41 paid version, but when I attempt to log into WoW I'm disconnected. When I get more than 10 seeds on uTorrent PDAnet crashes! I'm curious if there's something aloof with my version or computer now because I can get fair speeds, I just can't make too many connections or PDAnet crashes.

11. neoxaero

neoxaero New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    When I posted that I had 60 connections (I forgot to shutdown utorrent when I connected to pdanet). I am using version 2.41 as well.. if there is a free version I'm likely using it. Also I'm running windows 7 ultimate on my home pc and windows xp on my work system/laptop

Also I noticed you're from texas. what city are you in?

12. justinmooty

justinmooty New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in a small town called Waskom, and I'm thinking that's a large part of the problem. I was able to log on without making any major changes to PDAnet, my computer, or phone, but it appears that my lag stayed from 900-3000-ms 0__0!

13. neoxaero

neoxaero New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    if you're in dalaran thats about what my latency was here in austin with a 5bar 3g connection

Search tags for this page
does utorent work with easytether
easytether with utorrent

utorrent and pdanet

utorreny easytether