1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Pros.Cons

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by u83rmensch, Jan 24, 2010.

1. u83rmensch

u83rmensch New Member

So I tried looking around the FAQ sticky, found only one post that related to my question and didnt exactly provide much incentive to what im looking to do.

I am a linux enthusiast and I've had my droid for a little over a month now and im looking to root it however I have a few questions before I go about doing. What I really want to know is what the advantages are to gaining root access to my phone. I realize being a linux user that being root opposed to a standard end user makes all the difference in the world, but what does this means for my phone? Is the hack really worth voiding the warrenty? If it is worth it, everything comes with a price, so what are the draw backs?

last question ( and a link will do fine if you've got one ) how does one go about resyncing your phone with verizon. is there a special manner of doing it? do i have to call it in? I did not see this step in the 2.1 tutorial ( maybe I over looked it )

oh and hi im new :)
  2. iSecks

iSecks New Member

For me, knowing I can do basically anything on my phone is worth voiding the warrenty. It is a plus that it's really easy to unroot, so if I ever needed to bring it back to Verizon they'd exchange it easily. I don't really see any drawbacks of rooting.

As for "resyncing" with Verizon, I'm going to assume you mean getting your phone to work on Verizon after updating to 2.1. My phone always works no matter what ROM I install. I'm not sure if other people need to dial the number to program or not, but I've heard people talking about it.
  3. u83rmensch

u83rmensch New Member

Thanks that helps.. any one else got any feed back before I do this thing? I think im just curious as to how many people had to re-register the their phones with verizon after doing it, if any one that is.
  4. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

The only time I had to re-register was on a hard rest. And that only took 2 mins with *228

But never after loading a ROM.
  5. u83rmensch

u83rmensch New Member

What classifies a hard reset? and what do you mean when you refer to "with *288"?
  6. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

i think a hard reset would be when you load into recovery and choose wipe everything. *228 is how you program your phone. you call it and in 2 minutes your phone is ready to go.
    i didnt think root would be that great, but everyday i find more and more reasons im glad i did it.
  7. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

As to 'voiding the warranty' remember that would only apply if you managed to completely brick your phone (which if it's like WM phones is EXTREMELY hard to do). Otherwise you can simply return it 'to stock' and they will never know. Even if you manage to brick your phone it's very unlikely (though not impossible) that they will know that you did it by modifying the phone. But of course it's your phone so it's your call.
  8. knotbeerdan

knotbeerdan New Member

There are also so many home screen mods available they would have to be an expert to tell if its rooted from my experience. the people at VZW just are not that intelligent around here. I have yet to root also since I too am trying to see the benefits. Although I am not a linux user or a linux pro user by far i would like to learn just not sure if it would be worth it to root
  9. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

They would have to connect it to a computer which, if your phone is bricked still won't tell them much:icon_ devil:. I would imagine it wouldn't be until they sent the phone in to be refurbed that they would discovery anything (IF then). Personally I've held off because I don't really care to re-clock the CPU and there's no themes I've seen that I really want (and I don't have the time to make my own now). I'm also a bit burnt out with flashing and playing/cooking with ROMs after the last two years on WM phones.
  10. knotbeerdan

knotbeerdan New Member

yeah i feel your pain. I flashed the hell out of my omnia and guess what.... Im downloading a rom to flash to it now just cause
  11. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

lol, I lucked out with having to switch networks. So I sold all my WM devices (on the ++ side they MORE than paid for my Droid and the first months service:icon_ banana:).
  12. u83rmensch

u83rmensch New Member

i suppose if worst comes to worst i do manage to brick it (never bricked a psp yet, im usually pretty good about this stuff), I could just smash the F**ker and send it in.. I got the extended warrenty via GoWireless, $50 gets me a new one apparently.
  13. knotbeerdan

knotbeerdan New Member

thats my plan. :icon_ banana:
Search tags for this page
motorola a855 pro and cons

pros and cons of motorola droid a855

pros to rooting droid 4