Pros and Cons: Rooted & ROM'ed / Stock 2.1

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Orion223, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Orion223

Orion223 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Guys, my purpose in creating this thread is to find out what all of you from both sides of the fence think about your own way of enjoying your Droid: whether you went all-out root and ROM (including specific customizations) or preferred the "safe" method and did the official OTA. I would like you to comment on what YOU have done, without denigrating or belittling the other side. In my opinion, if you could relay the positives and negatives of your Droid choices, this thread could become a valuable resource for all to make a more informed choice as to which way to go: I realize that most if not all the information this thread would contain is elsewhere on the forums, but IMO having a more condensed and focused location would be easier.

2. bwhite82

bwhite82 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Not a bad idea but should probably be posted in the 'hacks' section. BTW, you never posted which way YOU went and why.

3. bacalao

bacalao Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm staying rooted and rom'ed. I have all the goodies of the new stock update plus way more customization possibilities. In addition, I can overclock, wifi tether, and use some apps available to rooted droids such as bright control, titanium backup, etc.
    It's kind of fun to mess around tech, it always seems fresh when I tinker.

4. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +915
    Current Phone Model:
    Nokia Lumia Icon
    Moved to the Hacks section for better visibility.....

5. NeverEndingXsin

NeverEndingXsin Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm rooted and rom'd and loving it. Overclocking makes everything faster, wifi tether gives me internet everywhere. All the themes make my droid sexy looking lol, much better than the stock look. Flashing different roms is a lot of fun and gives me something to look forward too (aka the updates).

Only real cons are the "omgosh wtf my phone is <insert error here>" moments lol but those are easily dealt with by loading a nandroid backup and being all good again. Yesterday my droid told me that the system wasn't responding and made me force close it, so I was kinda scared but kept my cool and reflashed and now everything is good again =)

6. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I rooted and played in the sand box. I unrooted and re-rooted. I tried various roms and kernels and all the other toys you get from rooting.

Yesterday I went back to stock and then manually flashed the OTA 2.1. Not that I felt I would get anything new from it...but so many people were asking this same question and rather than listen to all the responses I went ahead and did it myself to answer that one question...what is it?

Benefits of the OTA update? Verizon won't have a problem with my phone when it needs warranty work.

So far that's all I got for you.

Some claim better battery life. I don't see it. I had control of my battery with SetCPU profiles. Now Verizon controls my battery. SetCPU is reporting temps in the 90-98 f range with some light browser activity (no games). I assume battery life and tempertures go hand in hand.

Everything I got out of the OTA update I had from Smoked Glass 6. (the last, and my personal favorite, custom ROM I had) except for that peice of mind if I need warranty. I lost OC. I gained a laggy app drawer. Woo Hoo!

Now...if you stayed stock, unrooted and are upgrading...this OTA update may facinate you. Don't get me worng. It is a definate improvement over non-rooted 2.0.1.

So there's my analysis. See you over in the "how do I use RSDLite to get my root back?" thread.

Nate

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  7. 91jolson

91jolson Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was on the un-rooted side of of the fence until SMUpdater came out. That pretty muched pushed me wide and wonderful world of rooting and custom roms.

Pros:
    Tweaking everything until its perfect
    Speed via overclock
    Wifi Tether

Cons:
    Phone gets toasty sometimes
    Pain in the ass to restore from Nandroid (but better than having a bricked phone lol)

Most of the good stuff in 2.1 has been available to everyone (Helix Launcher), and I get all that + more being rooted.

8. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +1,613
    I am staying rooted. The 2.1 is a watered down version of what I already have minus o/c, the ability to theme, wifi tethering, custom roms, and the ability to root. I am so glad I did not get sucked into the hype. Thanks verizon and you guys for releasing the manual install while I was sleep.

9. huskur

huskur Senior Member

Ratings:
    +36
    ditto!!!!!

10. Atst44

Atst44 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What do I choose?

I have rooted, unrooted, and continued.
    I loved Koush's rom, hated the no MMS... (Even tho I never get them)
    I refused to go to 2.1 OTA without root.
    Root is so much more than ROMS.
    Overclock and Wireless tether are beautiful. Changing/Mod'ing Live wallpapers is fun.

I am rooted with 2.1, with O/C and Wifi Tether, (no roms..) and loving it!

11. Orion223

Orion223 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Touche. I started out all twisted up trying to decide what to do, eventually went U.D. 8, got skeered about voiding my warranty and immediately went back to stock and manually forced the update. Still trying to figure out whether I should go back to the "DARK SIDE" or not ...

12. Orion223

Orion223 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    P.S. To all you who stayed rooted ... wifi tether comes with the 2.1 OTA ... and the Helix launcher works great.

13. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    well, right now there are only a couple of upsides to the 2.1ota. The new 3p baseband, and the yahoo modification. There may be some minor smaller tweaks to the system that were not deemed worthy of VZW posting in the upgrade spec's, but essentially the two I listed are the biggies.

Right now, as the 2.1 source has been released, it will take the rom makers a very short amount of time to give us the 2.1r2 (I think) official "stuff" in custom roms. And you can get the 3p right now.

So in reality, the decision is still not about 2.1 ota versus lesser 2.1 rooted. The question will soon be back to 2.1 official, and 2.1 official rooted. The old root or not root question.

So to that question, I rooted very early, and have zero regrets. Rooting and unrooting have become so easy these days, if anyone has half a thought of what it is like on the dark side, it is pretty easy to find out. A lot different than back when 2.0.1 came out. With the options of the different roms, metamorphing and the upgrades to many applications with root, I cannot even fathom going back.

And I would add that as one of the primary upgrades for stock users being livewallpers for those who like them, the big upside to rooting is the overclocking which I can promise you will make the lpw's behave better with regard to overall phone speed. And you do not have to go crazy, bump the speed a little, offset with a medium or low voltage kernel and you will surely have better speed experiences, across the boards.

Craig

14. mbsmd

mbsmd New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    How did you manage 2.1 with wifi tether?

I'm on the rooted but otherwise stock ESE81 2.1, but wifi tethering is a no-go (and SetCPU tops out at 550MHz).

What version are you running? Can you point me towards at least getting wifi tethering enabled?

15. JayCizzo

JayCizzo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You need to flash an OC'd kernel. Not sure if it will solve your wi/fi tethering but it will definitely let you overclock.

Search tags for this page

ninja go livewallpers

positives and negatives of rooting s4
root motorola droid 2 global pros and cons
stock rooted ed 2