Pros and Cons of Roms

Brennan_Huber

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Im looking for a new rom. I have Rubix 1.9.7 and its okay but I want to try out a few more. And I have no clue where to begin. If some people could just write the pros and cons of some different Roms and if they are blur or blurless it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sent from my DROIDX

mcp770

Reaction score
I think there are pro's and con's to every rom out there depending on your own personal taste. First make a nandroid of what you have now. Then figure out blur vs blurless and try a few. I usually give a new rom a few days to "settle in" and play with the settings to make sure I'm giving it a fair shake. All the heavy hitter roms with the exception of Tranquility are posted in this forum so my suggestion would be try them all.

I organized several folders on my sd card to allow easy rom changing to include a recovery folder containing maderstock, z4root, bootstrap, several full custom rom zips, and of course my nandroids if i'm in a hurry. Then its a simple matter of restoring a few things with titanium and appbrain. I can pretty much install a rom cleanly from unrooted 340 and restore my apps and settings within 10 minutes now.

I have tried Darkslide, GummyJar, Apex, Fission, Liberty, Tranquility, Unleashed, Rumm Rx, and countless theme variations of each. I prefer the blurless roms and found GummyJar and RubiX (my default OS) to be the best for me in terms of speed and stability with no issues at all.

droidxchat

Reaction score
Luckily many of the rom developers collaborate and share the best parts of their rom with others, so its tough to go wrong. The biggest differences will be the intentional differences. For instance, Apex retains more blur than most Roms. This has the advantage that it is more hardware compatible, meaning HDMI out works, where in AOSP (blurless) roms, it does not.

Bottom line is, "pro" and "con" is a relative term -- relative to what it is you want. You have to decide what you want from the Rom, the things you want it to include or not include, what balance you want of speed and compatibility, etc.