1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Proper procedure for swapping roms

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by cr08, Sep 15, 2011.

1. cr08

cr08 New Member

So it has been roughly a month since I have gotten my OG Droid and rooted/flashed it. Started out immediately jumping into CM nightlies but have gotten quite annoyed with lagginess lately so decided to try out Simply Stunning which seems to be a highly recommended OG rom. Booted into SPRecovery, did a factory reset and cache format a few times, rebooted again into SPR, flashed the SS update zip. Everything is surprisingly MUCH snappier than CM was, on top of which I have way more free internal storage and also ram. But I am having some random annoying, but not showstopping, bugs which is starting to bug (pun intended) me.

Now previously when I went from stock to CM I did one key thing different: After flashing SPR and doing a factory reset/cache wipe (just once) I didn't reboot and jumped right into the CM update.zip, google apps zip, and Chevy's ULV kernel zip. Then rebooted straight into the OS.

I'm largely curious in both of these scenarios if this is the proper procedure for loading a new rom as cleanly as possible. I've searched and really couldn't find a definitive answer on it.

Side note: I am also curious about having the SD card still holding stuff like apps moved over, different app data, etc.. after a new rom. Whether that would effect anything negatively or not. I don't really do anything exotic like run a swap/app2sd partition. Just a regular FAT32 part. over the whole card and holds the normal stuff. Reason I ask is upon loading SS I had some strange occurrences happen during the time the Market was auto-installing everything.

Thanks!
  2. guidot

guidot Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

If you'd like a quick overview on the three recoveries and flashing/backup with them, check link 2 in my signature.
Search tags for this page
android rom swap
android rom swapping
rom swapping

swapping roms android