Project Fi creates an unlimited plan

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
google-phone.png

Google’s Project Fi has updated its plans to make the service a better choice for heavy data users. The MVNO has launched a new feature called Bill Protection that will cap your $10 per GB data bill at $60 a month, while still allowing you to use as much data as you want, essentially creating its own version of an unlimited data plan.

Bill Protection gives you the peace of mind to use extra data when you need it. In months when you use more than 6 GB of data, we’ll cap your charges for calls & texts plus data at $80, and allow you to continue using high speed data for free—similar to an unlimited plan. Bill Protection kicks in at different usage points based on the number of people on your plan, and you can see how it would work for your group here.

If you’re a super heavy data user, you’ll experience slower data speeds in months when you’ve consumed more than 15 GB of data (less than 1% of current Fi users today). But as always, you’ll have the power to customize your plan, and you can opt out of slower speeds by paying $10/GB for your individual data usage above 15 GB.

Never pay for data you don’t use

And here’s the kicker: with Bill Protection you’ll never have to pay for unlimited data in months when you don’t actually need it. If you only use 1.4 GB of data, at the end of the month you’ll pay just $34 instead of $80. So no matter how much data you use, you can save money with Bill Protection every month.

Finally, Bill Protection still applies to all of the Project Fi goodies you love, including high speed data in 135+ countries, and data-only SIM cards to use in your laptop, tablet or car. If you’re traveling abroad, that means you can use all of the apps you need—there’s no need to stress about the extra data.

Bill Protection begins rolling out today to individual subscribers and group plans. If you’re a current Fi subscriber, you’ll see it appear on your next billing cycle. For those not yet signed up for Fi, we’re making it easier to try it out by offering up to $120 off some of our Fi-ready phones for a limited time.

Source: Bill Protection on Project Fi: data when you need it, and savings when you don’t

Icculus760

Reaction score
not worth it if they are going to slow down heavy users

Well, only super-heavy users will be slowed down (those who use > 15GB/mo) and there's always the option to opt-out of throttled data using the non-bill protection plan

"If you’re a super heavy data user, you’ll experience slower data speeds in months when you’ve consumed more than 15 GB of data (less than 1% of current Fi users today). But as always, you’ll have the power to customize your plan, and you can opt out of slower speeds by paying $10/GB for your individual data usage above 15 GB."

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Well, only super-heavy users will be slowed down (those who use > 15GB/mo) and there's always the option to opt-out of throttled data using the non-bill protection plan

"If you’re a super heavy data user, you’ll experience slower data speeds in months when you’ve consumed more than 15 GB of data (less than 1% of current Fi users today). But as always, you’ll have the power to customize your plan, and you can opt out of slower speeds by paying $10/GB for your individual data usage above 15 GB."

and that is why I said its not worth it.

R

RETG

Terrible service in the western states as compared to Verizon. Have a friend who camps with me on occasion and she is always borrowing my phone since she does not get service.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
If i was able to Use my Z Force or Droid Turbo I would have Considered it as an Alternative Service. Not Going to invest in New Phones for a Service that uses Sprint. At least not for my Area its not Worth it.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I tried their service here in NY it's good where I am but just like my two lines $110 all in without seeing changes its just easier ...plus i get $50 back from work so not too shabby

Pixel 2 XL

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
I saw one of those Fi Vending Machines in Philly Airport and wanted to use it to get some stuff. Wanted the Fuzzy Fi Socks. lol

Domestic violence

Reaction score
I’ll stick with my flawless T-Mobile plan of 2 lines with unlimited everything for $100/mo.

iPhone 6S+ primary and LG Aristo for a work/dirt phone.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I’ll stick with my flawless T-Mobile plan of 2 lines with unlimited everything for $100/mo.

iPhone 6S+ primary and LG Aristo for a work/dirt phone.

Ug, my wife and I had that plan and we ended up leaving it which ended up with us returning to TMobile a couple months later.

Amagine

Reaction score
I've often thought of trying the service. But without a BYOD option beyond the ones that they have noted to support, its a dead end.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I've often thought of trying the service. But without a BYOD option beyond the ones that they have noted to support, its a dead end.

my eyes must really be tired. I thought at first you said BYOB... but then you may need it when trying new services :)