Project Elite V4.0 and SetCPU

Discussion in 'Project Elite' started by EbE404, Jan 1, 2011.

1. EbE404

EbE404 New Member

I have a question for the dev:

First off, I just installed PE and am quite impressed so far, I'm looking forward to giving this a spin.

Second, I'd like to express my thanks for the great work and contribution to the community, as well as the participation on DF-it's really great to have this kind of interaction and response to questions and comments.

Anyhoo, to the question. I notice that there are CPU and OC/UC settings available through a governor in the Elite Settings ->Performance. I'm wondering if you could provide some comments on what exactly is being used for that and how the internal ROM governor relates and cooperates with SetCPU-particularly for things like profiles and advanced settings.

Changes made in SetCPU seem to track the settings in the Elite settings and vice versa, but I don't want to make any assumptions about what is going on and how they are working together, so some additional details about what is happening and what the mechanisms at work would be greatly appreciated.
  2. white_ash143

white_ash143 New Member

Only differences are the profiles in setcpu and the advanced settings... which I think you can modify the elite overclock script to change the advanced settings not sure though... if you don't use profiles don't bother with setcpu... if you use profiles just disable elite overclocking.
  3. billyidle

billyidle New Member

Setcpu trumps the Elite OC settings. When both are used, PE sets the OC on boot, once setcpu loads, setcpu takes over. No need to disable in Elite Settings, they don't conflict.
  4. EbE404

EbE404 New Member

Excellent, thanks for the info. An additional confirmation on that from the dev would be great (no offense to billyidle, of course).

The profiles and advanced settings are critical (IMHO, anyway) to not only maximizing the performance characteristics of a OC/UC configuration (response, battery life, etc.) but also for protecting the device.

I can't image running without those.

I seem to recall quite a while back there was a version of BB where Pete was implementing an internal governor and had mentioned something about conflicts with SetCPU-I just wanted to be clear on what was happening in this ROM.
  5. actngrezy

actngrezy New Member Developer

SetCpu and the internal do basically work in the same way and the information you were given was correct. There won't be any conflicts with using setcpu. Setcpu will overide the way that p.e is overclocked/underclocked in the same way in which it would overide the stock settings of a rom that does not provide overclocking support.
    The only difference is you can use the profiles in setcpu. Using setcpu will not conflict with the way the rom is overclocked. In roms there a few way use can overclock. The speed is governored by the kernel and the settings in the init files which are in the ramdisk that are loaded when the phone is first booted up. Now this can be done by changing the stock 600mhz to a higher number in the ramdisk which say if you change the 600 to say 900 then flash a 1ghz kernel the kernel will only go to the highest spot allowed by the ramdisk. By setting a higher number you can allow a kernel to go to its full potenial. Now you can also have a script load at boot time which basically overwrites the set numbers that load with the init scripts in the ramdisk and ofcourse changes the highest/lowest numbers the kernel can perform at. Which varies depeding on the kernel you use. Setcpu manipulates these number basically in the same way but again allows you to use profiles so the number is set based on battery percentage and or temp.

The thing with bb was he edited the kernel to work good with the way his rom was overclocked and the issue was if you switched kernels you may potentially have lost some features. He has said that you could use setcpu which would just overide the way his rom was overclocked but again this was an olderversion of bb also.

Hope that helps and clear somethings up for you. There's a greatthread on overclocking I believe its overclocking 101 somewhere. When I have a chance ill see if I can link it for you.
  6. EbE404

EbE404 New Member

Thanks very much for the details on what's going on.

I'm very familiar with the Overclocking 101 thread and SkullOne's work and testing on the subject, and I've spent hours myself testing different kernels and settings in SetCPU to get my Droid working the way I want it to.

For anybody else looking for it, it can be found here:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/47871-overclocking-101-a.html

It's moved around a few times since it was started and has been updated many times, but the information is absolutely brilliant.

Again, I really appreciate the info and your participation and feedback here. I'm looking forward to spending some time with this ROM.