Project Ara Launch will be in 2017, with Developer Units Coming this Fall

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
After further research:
As the technology stabilizes, says Camargo, Google also intends to let other companies build Ara frames -- not just the modules, but entire Ara computers with module slots.

This is more like what the Dev version will look like:
google-project-ara-2016-003.jpg

and this is what they hope the consumer version might look like:
project-ara-final-840x450.jpg

silverfang77

Reaction score
I can see techies liking it because you'll be able to build your own phone and upgrade the CPU, RAM and video, just like a home built PC.

Sent from my SM-N915V using DroidForums

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
That was the original vision but that's been changed. Apparently that was too big an issue to overcome.
The CPU, Video and Screen will not be replaceable in Gen 1.
But you can add a Glucose Meter that will tell you your blood sugar levels...

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
After further research:
As the technology stabilizes, says Camargo, Google also intends to let other companies build Ara frames -- not just the modules, but entire Ara computers with module slots.

This is more like what the Dev version will look like:
google-project-ara-2016-003.jpg

and this is what they hope the consumer version might look like:
project-ara-final-840x450.jpg

Thanks for posting.

Google having other manufacturers build the frame sounds very similar to the Nexus model now. I think for the first 2 years we may see a manufacturer like HTC (who is needing a boost) put their foot in the water and play ball. If it picks up traction we will see Samsung and LG jump in but, as stated above, at the cost of wanting more control over the modules that will be able to be used with their frames. A company like Samsung can say "we will allow any module to be used but we will not share the intellectual code that will make it work or work with S apps".

But at the end of the day this can open up the market in a way that android inspired so many young developers back during the Moto Droid days. This could inspire start up businesses that will develop their own modules; car modules, game module, heart rate modules, etc. So where in Google may run into opposition with the big names it can inspire the no names to make a name for themselves.

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I like the idea, snapping a thermal camera in for work, snapping a night vision camera in for low light, snapping a quality camera in for stills.

Haven't you ever wished your current device had X sensor that Y model has, this allows that possibility. Coprocessors are another possibility.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I have my doubts regarding this device, especially since it was supposed to release this year. It may gain traction in the developer community the way Nexus has over the years, but as far as a hit as a real world flagship, I just don't see it happening.
We haven't heard all that much news out of Puerto Rico. Isn't this where they have been field testing this device for the past year?

S5 tap'n