Project Ara Launch will be in 2017, with Developer Units Coming this Fall

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, May 20, 2016.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254

It's been a while since we heard how Project Ara (Google's unique modular smartphone design) was progressing. As it turns out, it has been progressing well. The latest report indicates that Google will release Project Ara developer units as early as the Fall of this year. Even more exciting is that the final retail launch of the product is scheduled for next year (2017).

While we are not holding our breath that Project Ara will be the greatest new mobile tech invention since the touchscreen, we are at least excited to see if the concept translates into a viable and innovative device. Here's a quote with a few more of the details, and be sure to check out the video above.

"During a special I/O session, Google showed off a working prototype of Ara, alongside some pretty crucial news about the project’s future. Firstly, the project is moving on to Google directly, and out of ATAP, with a 2017 commercial release slated. Second, Rick Osterloh leading the effort to develop the phone, which will be the company’s first in-house smartphone that wasn’t build via a partner with another major OEM. This second piece of news isn’t that surprising, considering Google recently hired the former Motorola exec to run a unified hardware division within Google." ~ AndroidAuthority

Impressive! In fact, the device looks surprisingly retail-ready. Here's our dedicated section for further discussion: Google's Project Ara

#1 dgstorm, May 20, 2016
    Last edited: May 20, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  2. PereDroid

PereDroid DF News Team Reporter

Ratings:
    +3,902
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Turbo 2
    Strange. Somehow after seeing that video I am less interested in it.
    It's downright HIDEOUS! :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mustang02

Mustang02 Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +6,072
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P/5X
    I agree. Why would someone want this?

4. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,290
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
    Well they may not be aesthetically pleasing at first, but we all know this is typical of new products and the development is still in play. The objectives right now are to get it noticed and to build interest in developers, which is possibly the reason for the "ugly" colors as well as the vague demonstration of the various modules' operation. I think this could really be the holy grail of smartphones.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +941
    I still like the idea, but feel like it will need some sort of case backing (which Google probably won't have since part of the marketing ploy is on-the-fly swapping of components).

But I don't have much reason to upgrade my current 1.5 year old phone. There's not much in top-tier phones that I'm left wanting for. It may be interesting to be able to purchase a high-quality camera adapter, but that's about all I can think of for a phone.

6. PereDroid

Ratings:
    +3,902
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Turbo 2
    I originally liked the idea.
    I was thinking more like: buy a base model. Add some stuff. Use that for a year. New video card piece comes out? Cool. *Add
    New Ram component to upgrade the ## Ram? *Add A few months go by. New camera module. *Add
    I never imagined what's pictured in that video...running around with phone pieces in my pocket!!!!
    No.

Sent from Turbo II

7. liftedplane

liftedplane Gold Member

Ratings:
    +907
    Keep in mind this is NOT the final product, I can guarantee you'll be able to colour match all of your modules and it won't look quite as ridiculous. I wouldn't buy a device that was all colour stupid like this... however if I could coordinate my modules and my device you better believe I'd be all over it... especially if I can simply upgrade the cpu with a new module in a year for.. even 200 and it comes with better ram...

the possibilities are endless

• Like Like x 2
  8. liftedplane

liftedplane Gold Member

Ratings:
    +907
    google may not release a case, but someone will... and it will cover the device and protect the modules... probably even allow some quick release backing option to swap modules. upgrade the ram, the cpu, the gpu the camera every few years instead of buying an entirely new phone.

• Like Like x 1
  9. PereDroid

Ratings:
    +3,902
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Turbo 2
    Stop being excited and let me be cynical, damnit.
    [​IMG]

Hehehe

Sent from Turbo II

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. liftedplane

liftedplane Gold Member

Ratings:
    +907
    here this is for you
    [​IMG]

And in case you needed some more right now you can always download more ram

DownloadMoreRAM.com - CloudRAM 2.0

• Like Like x 1
  11. danniriri

danniriri New Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Easy if you want mass storage you can have it if you want battery endurance you can have it eiii anything you want from a smartphone you can do it. Thats why its called a smartphone... Get it???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. johnomaz

johnomaz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +771
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel 2XL
    The modules look like they come off way too easily. I dunno, I was never sold on the product and with how tech has gone in the past couple of years with how powerful phones have gotten, so much more ram, way better cameras, I'm not sure these modules would improve phones too much. Maybe in businesses, you could have barcode scanners, medical instruments and other specialized things, especially on tablets, but on a personal phone. Too many things to lose or break.

• Like Like x 2