Programming a Graphic EQ ?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by xsylus, Feb 5, 2010.

1. xsylus

xsylus Active Member

I've been looking for a good graphic EQ (equalizer) for when I'm using my Droid as an MP3 media player. My old pocket pc has a 5 channel EQ that governs all audio produced by the device and outputted through the headphones jack. I've written a few programs in Visual Basic and C++ but none in JAVA. Can anyone give me any tips on whether it would be possible to create an EQ for the Droid or any android phones?

EQ Features:

• Options for 3, 5, & maybe 10 bands
    - The 3 bands would just simply be bass, mid, and treble.
    - The 5 and 10 bands would be more like a real EQ with the Hz number.
    • Custom Presets: (Rock, Jazz, Classical, etc. and user defined)
    • Would only affect audio going through headphones not the built-in phone speaker.
    • Would work with any and all media players; not exclusive.
    • The ability to assign presets to individual tracks, artists, albums, and playlists so that when a song plays, the EQ auto changes the preset to the assigned settings. This way if you have a mix of artists like with shuffle mode on and it switches from one assigned track to another the user defined assigned EQ preset automatically changes accordingly. (This is a long shot)

My main concern is that I don't even know if any of the Android phones would support a universal EQ. If there are any hardware or software limitations that would prevent such an EQ from working. Furthermore I don't know how to affect the individual EQ bands. Would I have to write a new library? Ugh, I wish I understood programming better. :dry:
  2. m21knight

m21knight New Member

This is actually a really good question/request. The main problem here is; what is the resolution of the audio D2A converter? If it is too small it will cut out some of the higher frequencies (most people can't hear these).
  3. Geken

Geken New Member

I would be very interested to see if this is possible. This would make a great addtition to my HTPC
  4. BabaGanoush

BabaGanoush New Member

5. LastBoyScout

LastBoyScout New Member

To quote my buddy who is a sound engineer:

"Why would you want to use an EQ? The artist(s) and producer(s) spent alot of time, money, and sweat making a song sound a certain way, and then you go and mess it all up because its not the way you want it to sound?"

I might have to check out the milestone ported EQ just a joke for him.
  6. 640k

640k Active Member

to your point, by playing an artist's media through any playback system other than their recording system, is, in effect, destroying the original sound quality of the recording.

there are several things to consider with your (friend's) argument, but the most important, and related to this thread, is the fact that MOST if not ALL sound systems are NOT properly EQ'd.

now, back to the OP; there are already several market apps that do this. i downloaded one that included a pink noise and sine wave generator, but the microphone to speaker output connection and response feedback of the quality of the signal coming through the microphone is too compressed to accurately and effectively tune a stereo system
  7. xsylus

xsylus Active Member

Ask your buddy if he ever uses bass boost on a stereo system, that's altering the EQ. I like adding more bass to some music and I also prefer to reduce the treble end because not only can it ruin your hearing, in my experience too much high-end gives me a headache which defeats the joyful purpose of listening to music. When audio techs mix music they use high quality audio equipment and yea it probably sounds great on that equipment but the audio circuits in PDAs and Smartphones aren't so great plus you have headphones to consider. I use large headphones at home but don't like to lug them around when I'm traveling so I use clip-on ones. The sound is completely different just with the two different types of headphones.
  8. xsylus

xsylus Active Member

Sweet!

There are several good things about this: 1.) It means that you can have an EQ on the Droid. 2.) I can reverse engineer the app and add more features to it like EQ slider bars. While the EQ in its current form is nice it lacks full customization because it only has preset menu options, no sliders. In any case this makes programming the one I wanted to make a lot easier. :icon_ banana: Woohoo!

Yes, I used the extreme bass option for some hard rock music and it sounds a whole lot beefier! Thanks for sharing this information!
  9. ramesh.kec.85

ramesh.kec.85 New Member

Hi,I am looking for 10band equalizer .Android supports 5band eq only .If you found the solution,Tell me how to aheive this..&nbsp;<br>
Search tags for this page
5 graphic equalizer java
building a graphic equalizer android tutorial
c# equalizer
developing a eq with 10 bands using java
droid equalizer
eq graphic equalizer for android

equalizer programming

graphic eq c+

graphic equalizer java

graphic equalizer programming

make graphic equalizer java