1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Program to pick cell tower you connect to?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by SDC_Bolts, Mar 17, 2010.

1. SDC_Bolts

SDC_Bolts New Member

Has anyone ever heard of a way to choose your own cell tower? I have a Moto Droid through Verizon, it is for work. I live in a area that has very poor Verizon service, from what I understand Verizon phones can roam on US Cellular towers, which the town I live in has. Is there a way to lock in on a specific tower? I have a extender that works ok from home, but struggle with phone across town, would be cool to be able to lock in on a specific tower, if at all possible.

I have looked and looked for this, if anyone has some input I would appreciate it.
  2. LtKen

LtKen New Member

I dont think so. If you were able to do this, you could bring down the entire cell infrastructure via DoS. Cell works because it load-balances itself so well.
  3. butch350

butch350 New Member

Pick your favorite tower? What if everybody used the same tower?

Hey I don't own a car. I just leave the house and pick the car closet
    to my door, ( i have an app that hot wires cars), jump in and use it for the day. I do replace any gas that the car consumes.

:icon_eek:
  4. SDC_Bolts

SDC_Bolts New Member

I see your points, but I live in a rural area, wouldn't be a issue. I didn't think it would be a service that a cell company would advertise, but possible I would think.
  5. LtKen

LtKen New Member

Entirely possible, but doing so would be all sorts of catastrophically bad.
  6. solution

solution New Member

Is there at least an app that will display how far away i am from the tower its connected to?
  7. sroach23

sroach23 New Member

if it works for Ferraris, can you send me the link for that app?
  8. ???

??? New Member

have you tried different basebands to see if one works better than others for you?

anything but the oldest one doesnt work worth a crap for me.
  9. mike919

mike919 New Member

I'm assuming you use the *228 and choose option 2 method to make sure all your SPL's are unlocked? I do this bi-weekly just to be sure all my roaming capabilites are updated... otherwise to actually answer your quesiton no, i've never seen such an app. like all these other guys say... that app equals bad idea...
  10. om!d

om!d New Member

plz if u find program like field test post the link here

i saw a program in nokia (symbian) its name was field test
    u can find neighbor towers and lock or pick it
    it is not bad it so good u can find towers that have more speed for internet or that have edge or etc
    i realy need program like it because i dont have nokia now i have wildfire (android) plz help me and give link for program like this

or if u can build program like field test plz do it i am looking for this about 6 month for android:blackdroid:
    my english is not well
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  11. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

So I take it the problem is that the very weak signal from a faraway verizon tower is being selected over a much closer US Cellular tower that would probably cost verizon money to let you roam on.

Yeah, I don't think verizon wants you to have the ability to pick your own tower/network. Then again, my old KRZR had that feature built-in, so I wouldn't be too surprised to see android with that ability. Have you poked around in the PROGRAM menu any?
  12. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

SDC,

7 is on the right track to possibly help. I have a similar situation where I live, with the "official" VZW tower being a US Cellular, and at my house and in the mountains around here I roam onto who know's who towers. I have found that I can sometimes tweak things first by going into the networks settings menu and selecting "home only".

The next tweak would be, as mentioned trying the different basebands. The second one, 3p seems to work best for me. The two latest absolutely do not.

And back to 7's point, if you are running a a rom version that supports the ##program moto hidden menu, there are some things you can test and try. I use the program at a property over the mountain to switch between evdo c and b vocodes. With C, I only get radio connection. When I switch to b, I get radio and 1x. There are a lot of other settings in this menu that I have yet to try, but you could do so. There is also a lot of useful information in this menu to "see" what your phone is seeing to perhaps troubleshoot.

The problem with the moto hidden menu is that it seems to be only available on frg22D (or similar) stock roms. I have tried a few of the source built, and none so far have this. I hope someone can correct me on this, please. Also, I am toying with the idea of trying out MIUI and seeing if I can use Zen's method of app bundling to possibly insert the moto hidden menu into that rom.

Craig
  13. Creative9

Creative9 New Member

as soon as you know how let us know lol
    the tec is out there, verry expensive phones used to prevent the police from triangulating your approximate position use this
  14. Pyzon

Pyzon New Member

Cell Tower Locator is free in the market. Won't let you choose where you connect but it tells you to what and where you are connected, obviously needs GPS turned on as well.
Search tags for this page
android cell tower lock
android change cell tower

android choose cell tower

android select cell tower

change cell tower android

choose cell tower android

connect to a cell tower
connect to different cell tower
how to change towers on verizon
how to choose cell tower

how to connect to a different cell tower