Process Dictionary?

Chaplain

Reaction score
Pardon an old VAX/VMS & WinTel systems analyst, but I'm looking for a listing and short description for the processes of RAZR/v4.0.4. I'm using the 3c System Tuner 2.3.1 (ccc71.pmw) Task Manager to see these names. ie: /system/bin/surfaceflinger or maybe /system/bin/akmd8975....

Most add-on apps are shown by their common name (ie: GTasks), but I'd really like to see what the system processes are doing.

A secondary (but related) question.... how many of those processes can be killed w/o rooting the phone?

Many Thanks.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I would have to say that getting into killing processes and trying to use performance enhancers might lead to more trouble than benefit. If you want to speed up your phone you can disable some of the bloatware, even without being rooted.

From the APP drawer if you click and hold on an APP a pop up will come up on the top of the screen for More Options, drag the APP there.

There you can go to APP Info and there should be a button for disable, if it is not there you might have to Uninstall Updates first then you should be able to disable.

If you are interested in rooting and installing a custom ROM you will see some speed increases I am sure, but again that is a decision to be weighed on the benefits over the possible negative side effects.

Again, this is all just one man's opinion take it for whatever it is worth. :)

OP
C

Chaplain

Reaction score
Thanks, Sydman. I have no strong desire to root due to the warrantee issues; however, disabling apps does the same thing as killing processes. And 'bloatware' is exactly what I'm trying to get rid of. Computer mftrs (afterall, a smartphone is a computer) don't typically relinquish info about their hidden processes, yet many of them (*especially* in phones) do things that: a) aren't necessary and b) scoop/scrape info from the user data for use in marketing, etc. Perhaps you know which processes/bloatware are unnecessary on the standard Motorola/Droid/Verizon build?

As example of what I'm trying to do, there are many processes that can be stopped on a WinTel computer without the average (home) user noticing a difference in the function of their computer. Those processes serve virtually no function except to use resources (CPU, RAM, etc). It's these sort of processes that I'm hunting/killing.

Thanks again for your input and you concern. I [sorta] know what I'm doing, I'm just looking downrange before I shoot. :happy3:

OP
C

Chaplain

Reaction score
Thanks, SallyC, that page will take me a long time to get bored on. :biggrin: Probably more info that I need for my present purposes. But my previous geekish profession will cause me to ponder the resources.

I'm hoping someone might provide a more simplified list, though. For the Dad in me that has little time.

Thanks again.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Here is the list of stuff that is said to be safe to freeze or disable.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-support/200131-droid-razr-bloat-safe-removal.html

I would rather do that over than kill a process for something. Only reason being is if you disable an APP it won't look for it to run, however if you kill a process something could always be looking for it to start up.

Course I could very well be wrong, and a ROM was only a recommendation in case you wanted to. Myself I wouldn't ROM because I am not a fan of safe strap or some of the negatives that come with them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX.

jaye712

Reaction score
Sydman said:
Here is the list of stuff that is said to be safe to freeze or disable.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-support/200131-droid-razr-bloat-safe-removal.html

I would rather do that over than kill a process for something. Only reason being is if you disable an APP it won't look for it to run, however if you kill a process something could always be looking for it to start up.

Course I could very well be wrong, and I a ROM was only a recommendation in case you wanted to. Myself I wouldn't ROM because I am not a fan of safe strap or some of the negatives that come with them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX.

Ok wait.the highlighted ones r safe to disable if iam readin this right syd?

DROIDRAZR215"unrooted"

jaye712

Reaction score