Problems with Yahoo mail

gstreez

Reaction score
I keep getting a username and password problem when setting up my yahoo e-mail.

I have typed it in a dozen times... I can't be wrong every time. I retyped it in on my desktop and get into the account.

What the heck is going on here? Any ideas?

I have read the instructions on several sites, watched the video on you tube. Typically a Username/password is a pilot error problem, but I don't know what I am doing wrong.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you don't have the right server settings it might kick back a bad username / password error. (This was happening on my exchange server) Other then that I don't know what else to try. What settings are you using?

OP
G

gstreez

Reaction score
Ah... then I might NOT be going crazy...

I have been using imap.mail.yahoo.com

and

port: 143

path prefix: None

That seems to be the recommended config that I have found in multiple places.

Any other ideas are welcome.

optional:

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
correct, does it go to the next screen after this asking for your outbound settings?

OP
G

gstreez

Reaction score
Nope, at this point it says, 'username password problems...'

I have typed it in with the keyboard, the virtual keyboard, and then typed it in again on my pc and it always works on the pc, never on the Droid.

OP
G

gstreez

Reaction score
Brandon - that is the incoming server I am using and I never get far enough to enter the SMTP server...

Any other ideas?

Pretty frustrating, seems like it should be a pretty simple thing.

OP
G

gstreez

Reaction score
Brandon - thanks, I'll give it a try....

I also wondered if my inbox was too full, so moved ALL e-mail into a folder that was NOT my inbox.

Sometimes, there is no 'simple' answer, but pulling battery, erasing settings, etc... may hit on one of the many possible causes.

Thanks - I'll let you know how it goes.

Just picked up the Droid today - torn between impressed with some apps and some impressive potential and frustration with some nonintuitive interfaces and some hinky implementations.

I want to love it...

OP
G

gstreez

Reaction score
I declared victory too early...

After pulling the battery, it let me add the incoming server, checked/accepted it, but did not like the smtp server name suggested above.

Closer...

Last edited:

sktech

Reaction score
My understanding is Google will not support Yahoo mail... kinda make sense.

OP
G

gstreez

Reaction score
It now accepts the 'incoming' server, but not the outgoing server...

Any ideas on alternate smtp server names or alternate ports?

On a GoDaddy account they suggested four different ports and it didn't work until I tried the third port.

OP
G

gstreez

Reaction score
Sk - plenty of folks have been able to set it up.

If Google won't let me read yahoo mail on my phone, that would be the end of the Droid for me.... then off to a blackberry or iPhone.

I have used this e-mail account longer than google has been around and am NOT dumping it for google.

cgarnes

Reaction score
Sk - plenty of folks have been able to set it up.

If Google won't let me read yahoo mail on my phone, that would be the end of the Droid for me.... then off to a blackberry or iPhone.

I have used this e-mail account longer than google has been around and am NOT dumping it for google.

WOW! I am glad that I came upon this thread, and if this is true, that is just one more reason to return my Droid. I have, like those before me here in this thread, been working, tirelessly, to get my Yahoo mail on my Droid, and I have gotten nowhere.

Granted, I love the Verizon network (not their rate plan!). I'm a former AllTel customer, and I hate to say this, but I just very well may go back to where I came from, and that is AT & T (was a customer for over eight years).

As a Mac user, that makes sense all by itself. The iPod/iPhone just work flawlessly with my Mac, and I don't have to worry about potentially unstable applications...

Cindy

Reaction score
i had this same issue and after a little research found a very odd solution....
change where u are to asia this unlocks everything that you need to enter you have to to it all manually but it work i dunno why