Problems with Widgets

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by stealthgriffin, Jun 19, 2010.

1. stealthgriffin

stealthgriffin Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So, since upgrading to 2.2 (Running Base, with Clean Black Theme) I've noticed a problem with widgets that I download since then.

Any widgets that I download right now, will work for maybe a day and then I'll get "Problem With Widget" where the widget was. So, i drag the widget off and long press to add. But the widgets don't seem to exist in my widget list. It's still installed because I can go into my App Drawer and find the settings app. It happened with PureMessenger Beta with Scrolling and I assumed my beta had just expired. But now it just happened with my FML and TFLN widgets, both of which are app/widget combos.

Any widgets that I had installed before I added 2.2 work fine. The other thought is that its somehow related to LauncherPro, which I'm trying to test out right now, but the fickle nature of the problem is hindering that process.

Edit: I opened up the regular Launcher, instead of LauncherPro and the Widgets are still not showing, just thought I'd throw that in there.

Would a factory wipe/cache wipe and reinstall of 2.2 perhaps fix this?

2. alucard9114

alucard9114 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    im having the same problem with BB21 froyo.

3. leroi09

leroi09 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Something with apps 2 SD but I had same issue on BB and now on SS both froyo

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

4. stealthgriffin

stealthgriffin Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm, your Apps to SD comment made me look, and indeed these widgets are getting moved to the SD card (according to Manage Applications).

Now the next question is, why are these apps automatically moving over? Space related (I doubt it as I've got a healthy amount of space). Memory related? Possible because when I look at my memory usage I'm hanging around 30mb free.

5. HarvesterX™

HarvesterX™ Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Pete decided that setting the install location to automatically default to external storage would be a good idea. Personally I think he did that on purpose to give his users something else to learn...though I can't confirm this ;-)

I'm too lazy to find the thread that goes over how to fix this so I'll attempt to explain real fast.

Using the file manager of your choice, we will be editing the following system file:
    /system/etc/install-recovery.sh

In order to edit the file, /system must be mounted. If using Root Explorer like I did then all you need to do is click the button at the top labeled Mount R/W. If using Astro or another file manager then you can open up a terminal app (ConnectBot, Terminal Emulator, etc) and run a script Pete kindly provided you for this very reason:
    Code:
    su
    godmode

NOTE: Root Explorer will automatically create a backup after you are finished editing but if you are using another app you might consider doing this before proceeding beyond this point

Before we go any further, it's time for some educational reading that may be of interest to more hardcore BB users or developers:

If the contents of this file look familiar, it's because it's essentially the Pete script from the latest 2.1 BB ROM.The Pete script is what enabled the more aggressive memory management and set the CPU speeds therefore eliminating the need for SetCPU. Before, Pete would have to modify a kernel to call the Pete script at boot. This is why loading a kernel not supported by Pete would break the afore mentioned features. The install-recovery.sh script runs automatically at boot in 2.2 regardless of which kernel is used and Pete was very clever to move the Pete script inside of here. No longer do you have to use supported kernels to reap all the benefits! If anyone has scripts they want run at boot...this would be the file to call them from or insert them into ;-)

Ok enough learning. Open up the install-recovery.sh file for editing and find the line that says:
    Code:
    pm setInstallLocation 2

It should be fairly obvious what the above does but the options may not be obvious...My advice would be to change the 2 with 0. This is the default for Froyo and basically means when you install an app then it will install the app to wherever the app specifies. However here are all the options. Some people may prefer instead to ensure apps ALWAYS install to the phone...in which case you would set it to 1. Anyways...choose ONE of the below options to use.
    Code:
    pm setInstallLocation 0 # auto (this is the default for the leaked 2.2)
    pm setInstallLocation 1 # will always install to phone (unless no memory is left)
    pm setInstallLocation 2 # will always install to sd card (unless no memory is left)

Save your changes, close the file and mount the system back to read only if you want to. Won't really matter as we are gonna reboot our phones here soon.

Ok cool so all new applications installed are going to be installed on the phone. Not so cool-anything you have already installed you will need to move back to the phone in order for them to function properly. Actually you only need to move back any apps with widgets or for that matter any app that needs to start or load anything up before the sdcard is mounted. This is easy but maybe a little tedious depending on how many apps you have to move. Just go into Settings>Applications>Manage Applications and click on each app you want to move. Then find the button that says Move to phone and click. Repeat for each app you need to move.

The last thing you need to do is reboot the phone for the changes we made in install-recovery.sh to take effect.

In the future if you would like to force an app to install to your phone that doesn't support moving to sd card via the Manage Applications method...there is a way for you to temporarily force apps to install back onto the sd card without having to edit and reboot like we just did. All you need to do is open up a terminal and type;
    Code:
    su
    pm setInstallLocation 2

The next time you reboot apps will go back to installing to the phone. Alternately you could just type back in the terminal:
    Code:
    su
    pm setInstallLocation <0|1> # choose whichever you originally edited in the file

Phew that was probably more long winded then it needed to be but I'm gonna lay back down so I won't be around to answer any questions that might arise from this for a while so I wanted to be as thorough as I could as tired as I am.

Search tags for this page

clean master widget not working

genie widget galaxy tab 2

problem moving widget

problems with widgets on galaxy 3