Problems with Sholes 1.2

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Se7enLC, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So I've been running Sholes 1.2 for a few days now, and here's what I've noticed.

Random Reboots: No rhyme or reason I can find. It seems like I'll be cruising along fine and then it will just crash and require a battery pull or the screen will go black and I'll see the motorola boot logo.

Data Service Flaky: I didn't notice it right away, but it seems that I'll sometimes lose 3G and it won't come back. In an area where I know there is coverage. When I reboot, it usually comes back up.

Brightness Problems: I am able to set manual brightness AND automatic brightness. But after running for awhile, it seems to forget that I have it on automatic brightness. I have to turn auto brightness off and back on again to get it to work.

All I really want is a kernel that supports wifi and doesn't introduce any new bugs. Any suggestions?

2. mjs31

mjs31 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I had some minor issues with Sholes as well. Mostly with certain apps, but I did get the occasional reboot. I highly recommend installing the bugless one that you see on the forums. Extremely fast and extremely stable. I have not had a single issue with this rom.

3. hughesjr

hughesjr Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am running sholes 1.2 rom with the sholes overclocked kernel and I am not really having any issues except the known issue with the camera.

If I set to CPU speed to > 600 MHz (and do things on the phone) then it seems to drastically drain power.

So other than camera and power, i am not really having any issues with 1.2. Been running it for 2 days.

Well ... I take that back, I also had issues with the 2.1 Launcher ... and switched back to the 2.0.1 Launcher with 5 screens. If you are using the 2.1 launcher I would highly recommend shifting back to the 2.0.1 Launcher.

4. mjs31

mjs31 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Really....try the bugless. No camera issues at all. Super fast. Just plain out stable.

5. JhankG

JhankG Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    When you installed Sholes 1.2, did you do a complete wipe first? I have found that it is best to wipe everything before installing any ROM, even if it's just going from Sholes 1.1 to 1.2. It's a pain, but it's also part of the fun for me. I'm running 1.2 and the only issue I am having is with the camera. The Sholes team knows about that problem and are working on a fix right now.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  6. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    600Mhz, you mean, right? The one that comes with the 1.2 ROM image?

Personally, I don't like the direction the community is going with regard to themes, roms, and kernels. I liked it better when they were separate entities - I could pick which kernel I wanted, then pick which apps I wanted installed, and then pick which theme I wanted *separately*. Now you are kind of stuck getting a package deal (I got reamed out for having the audacity to want to pull just the kernel out of a rom). I guess having the package-deal makes it easier to do tech support when you can clearly define what system a person has, and it certainly makes it easier for people, since flashing the kernel requires ADB, but automating it with a ROM install doesn't.

7. hughesjr

hughesjr Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Actually I am running the one they warn you not to run :)

8. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    /system gets entirely wiped as part of the ROM install. I kept /data because I didn't want to download and configure all my apps again :p

I suppose I could try wiping and starting fresh, but I can't imagine that the problem I'm having with 3G disappearing has anything to do with installed apps.

That's two votes for bugless already, I guess I should try it out!

9. JhankG

JhankG Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I always do a clean wipe, install the stock 2.0.1 with root, and then install the new ROM. I even did this when going from Sholes 1.1 to 1.2. There is a kernel that is just for overclocking and wifi tethering, which I used before going with the first Sholes ROM. Now that I'm running at 900 mhz, I don't have any lag issues. That may be because of vs 1.2, the new overclock speeds, or (most likely) a combination of both.

10. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    A little confused about Bugless Beauty. I see a version 0.8.3 and 0.7.1.

0.7.1 says that it has 800Mhz overclock and wifi. I don't see any mention of those on 0.8.3. Does that mean that 0.8.3 does NOT have the updated wifi module? Does it even have an updated kernel? (from the features list I don't see anything that would require one).

11. mjs31

mjs31 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I also tried wiping my phone and reinstalling sholes but still had the known camera issue and also lock ups leading to a reboot. I also would get the occasion reboot without locking. I am sticking with one of the bugless roms for a while. So happy now. My camera/video camera works, super fast and not a single lock up or reboot. Bugless name really fits.

12. JhankG

JhankG Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I do kind of miss my camera...

13. cplus

cplus Member

Ratings:
    +0
    .7.1 is bugless BEAST. .8.3 is bugless BEAUTY. 0.8.3 DOES NOT have wifi-tether or overclock. Personally, I would install 0.8.3 and then run ChevyNo1's all in one script found here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...overclock-wireless-tether-brightness-fix.html

14. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    All that script does is reflash the kernel and install android-wifi-tether - the question is more importantly which kernel is the most stable with wifi-tether, I can flash it myself.

Actually, the other question is - what does bugless beauty do for me? From the feature list, it seems like it's the standard kernel with a bunch of apps shuffled around. Makes sense that it's bugless if the kernel didn't even change, but the point of updating from stock (for me) is to get a new kernel and wifi tethering capability.

15. BullDroid

BullDroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just. use the 7.1 Bugless beast I think it's chevno.1's wifi kernel he is using in that one anyways. I'm personally running just the plain jane bugless beauty w/ a flashed boot.img for 900mhz overclock super fast and super stable and I have ZERO issues!