Problems with Sholes 1.2

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Se7enLC, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

So I've been running Sholes 1.2 for a few days now, and here's what I've noticed.

Random Reboots: No rhyme or reason I can find. It seems like I'll be cruising along fine and then it will just crash and require a battery pull or the screen will go black and I'll see the motorola boot logo.

Data Service Flaky: I didn't notice it right away, but it seems that I'll sometimes lose 3G and it won't come back. In an area where I know there is coverage. When I reboot, it usually comes back up.

Brightness Problems: I am able to set manual brightness AND automatic brightness. But after running for awhile, it seems to forget that I have it on automatic brightness. I have to turn auto brightness off and back on again to get it to work.

All I really want is a kernel that supports wifi and doesn't introduce any new bugs. Any suggestions?
  2. mjs31

mjs31 New Member

I had some minor issues with Sholes as well. Mostly with certain apps, but I did get the occasional reboot. I highly recommend installing the bugless one that you see on the forums. Extremely fast and extremely stable. I have not had a single issue with this rom.
  3. hughesjr

hughesjr New Member

I am running sholes 1.2 rom with the sholes overclocked kernel and I am not really having any issues except the known issue with the camera.

If I set to CPU speed to > 600 MHz (and do things on the phone) then it seems to drastically drain power.

So other than camera and power, i am not really having any issues with 1.2. Been running it for 2 days.

Well ... I take that back, I also had issues with the 2.1 Launcher ... and switched back to the 2.0.1 Launcher with 5 screens. If you are using the 2.1 launcher I would highly recommend shifting back to the 2.0.1 Launcher.
  4. mjs31

mjs31 New Member

Really....try the bugless. No camera issues at all. Super fast. Just plain out stable.
  5. JhankG

JhankG New Member

When you installed Sholes 1.2, did you do a complete wipe first? I have found that it is best to wipe everything before installing any ROM, even if it's just going from Sholes 1.1 to 1.2. It's a pain, but it's also part of the fun for me. I'm running 1.2 and the only issue I am having is with the camera. The Sholes team knows about that problem and are working on a fix right now.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  6. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

600Mhz, you mean, right? The one that comes with the 1.2 ROM image?

Personally, I don't like the direction the community is going with regard to themes, roms, and kernels. I liked it better when they were separate entities - I could pick which kernel I wanted, then pick which apps I wanted installed, and then pick which theme I wanted *separately*. Now you are kind of stuck getting a package deal (I got reamed out for having the audacity to want to pull just the kernel out of a rom). I guess having the package-deal makes it easier to do tech support when you can clearly define what system a person has, and it certainly makes it easier for people, since flashing the kernel requires ADB, but automating it with a ROM install doesn't.
  7. hughesjr

hughesjr New Member

Actually I am running the one they warn you not to run :)
  8. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

/system gets entirely wiped as part of the ROM install. I kept /data because I didn't want to download and configure all my apps again :p

I suppose I could try wiping and starting fresh, but I can't imagine that the problem I'm having with 3G disappearing has anything to do with installed apps.

That's two votes for bugless already, I guess I should try it out!
  9. JhankG

JhankG New Member

I always do a clean wipe, install the stock 2.0.1 with root, and then install the new ROM. I even did this when going from Sholes 1.1 to 1.2. There is a kernel that is just for overclocking and wifi tethering, which I used before going with the first Sholes ROM. Now that I'm running at 900 mhz, I don't have any lag issues. That may be because of vs 1.2, the new overclock speeds, or (most likely) a combination of both.
  10. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

A little confused about Bugless Beauty. I see a version 0.8.3 and 0.7.1.

0.7.1 says that it has 800Mhz overclock and wifi. I don't see any mention of those on 0.8.3. Does that mean that 0.8.3 does NOT have the updated wifi module? Does it even have an updated kernel? (from the features list I don't see anything that would require one).
  11. mjs31

mjs31 New Member

I also tried wiping my phone and reinstalling sholes but still had the known camera issue and also lock ups leading to a reboot. I also would get the occasion reboot without locking. I am sticking with one of the bugless roms for a while. So happy now. My camera/video camera works, super fast and not a single lock up or reboot. Bugless name really fits.
  12. JhankG

JhankG New Member

I do kind of miss my camera...
  13. cplus

cplus New Member

.7.1 is bugless BEAST. .8.3 is bugless BEAUTY. 0.8.3 DOES NOT have wifi-tether or overclock. Personally, I would install 0.8.3 and then run ChevyNo1's all in one script found here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...overclock-wireless-tether-brightness-fix.html
  14. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

All that script does is reflash the kernel and install android-wifi-tether - the question is more importantly which kernel is the most stable with wifi-tether, I can flash it myself.

Actually, the other question is - what does bugless beauty do for me? From the feature list, it seems like it's the standard kernel with a bunch of apps shuffled around. Makes sense that it's bugless if the kernel didn't even change, but the point of updating from stock (for me) is to get a new kernel and wifi tethering capability.
  15. BullDroid

BullDroid New Member

Just. use the 7.1 Bugless beast I think it's chevno.1's wifi kernel he is using in that one anyways. I'm personally running just the plain jane bugless beauty w/ a flashed boot.img for 900mhz overclock super fast and super stable and I have ZERO issues!
  16. rednukleus

rednukleus New Member

Even with bugless beauty my Droid would reset every time I tried to go to Settings > Accounts & sync. I had the same issue with Sholes 1.2. I'm back to stock rooted 2.01 and it's fine. Does everyone else have this issue?
  17. Artimis

Artimis New Member

I totally feel you on this one.....I was running sholes 1.1 for a while (without most of the options installed since that ROM actually let you choose things). I wanted to switch but I don't like a lot of the options that come with these "packages". I wouldn't even go so far as to call them custom ROM's......they are just backups of someone else's preferences.

Last night, I flashed a virgin 2.0.1 (w/root and busybox), manually installed the Launcher w/ 5 screens + auto-rotate, 2.1 Gallery, 2.1 Music Player, and HQ YouTube hack and then manually updated to the 800MHZ kernel and I couldn't be happier.

The phone is rock solid, fast, and is working way better than any of these "custom" ROM's I've tried.
  18. rednukleus

rednukleus New Member

I want everything you have Artimis, except the launcher because I dislike the rolling app drawer(slow). I am still a beginner but I'll figure it out. I have the gallery and 800 MHz. So I still need busybox, hq YouTube and the new music app. I am trying launcher++ for 5 screens. It seems fine. Sholes and beauty were both not ideal and I prefer tweaking to my own liking. I hated the aliasing when I touch the screen on the Milestone browser.
  19. Artimis

Artimis New Member

I should note that this is the 2.0.1 Launcher with 2 extra screens added + auto-rotate.............Not the 2.1 Launcher with the slow drawer (this bothered me too which is why I got rid of it).

Credit for this goes to xeudoxus at alldroid: AllDroid - View topic - [release]Launcher 2.0.1 w/ 5Screens v1.1a AuRot *Upd 1/6/10*
  20. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

Been running bugless beast for a day or so now. Not ONE SINGLE CRASH, and it's downright snappy at 800Mhz. Wireless tether works as advertised right out of the box - single program - no patch or weird workaround needed. 800Mhz seems to be running stable and cool. I'm using the BatterySmart widget from SmartMonitor to keep an eye on it. Highest I've seen it go is 41 C, but when it's not being used much it's down in the high 20s.

I think the only bug I've seen so far is the automatic brightness not working. It's working again now, but for awhile it was definitely not adjusting the lighting when I covered the light sensor, and the 4 on-screen buttons and keyboard were not lighting up.