1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Problems with rooting/rebooting/updating

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by babybeluga, Apr 25, 2010.

1. babybeluga

babybeluga New Member

Okay guys sorry I had to make my first post a please help me thread but here it goes:

I've been running smoked glass v4 for a while now and have never really had the time to update to v6.01. Today I went to update then as soon as i got the whole .rom.tgz stuff copied over my phone would reboot until it got to the unlock screen and then reboot again. I took the battery out and booted into recovery and tried to install the newer rom but the installation ended on status 14.

What should I do? I don't think i can really even acess my usb card via usb because my phone won't stay on. Did i follow proper rom update instructions? I couldn't find a thread or a video on how to. Please help!
  2. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

Can you reboot into recovery? If so, try mounting it in there. You need to check the name of the file.

3. babybeluga

babybeluga New Member

I can get into recovery, I should mount the SD card right? and check the extension on what sorry I'm really nooby
  4. INSANENEIVIESIS

INSANENEIVIESIS New Member Developer

mount usb mass storage.
  5. babybeluga

babybeluga New Member

mounted USB mass storage, now what? should I just delete the whole smoked glass folder?

another thing: when putting the smoked rom folder into the root of my SD card I opened the smoked rom folder up and extracted the system .rar file within the smoked rom folder. Is that the source of the problem?
  6. INSANENEIVIESIS

INSANENEIVIESIS New Member Developer

well i would goto a back up. do you know how to do that? and most likely it is.
  7. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Here is the meaning of Nandorid error code 14
    14 - Seems to happen when applying a .rom.tgz format. There are too many extensions at the end (I.e. .rom.tgz.tgz, needs to be .rom.tgz) Also could be caused by exracting a .rom.tgz . These files need to be left as a .rom.tgz file.

Verify that your file does not have multiple extensions. If it does rename or download a new file and start again.

Mike
  8. babybeluga

babybeluga New Member

Okay I will redownload smoked glass v6.01 but when i download it, it is a .rar file. I should just leave it as .rar? As previously mentioned I also extracted the system file within the smoked glass v6.01 is that why I'm getting error 14?
  9. mwhartman

Here is how the developer recommends installing:

Download Smoked Glass ROM - File should be named Smoked.Glass.v.X.X.rom.tgz Some browsers may try to change the file extension. It can be named anything as long as it has .rom.tgz at the end.

I believe the above causes error 14 what browser are you using?

Place the *.rom.tgz file in the root of your SD Card. It should not be inside of any folder.
    Reboot into SPRecovery v0.99.2b or v0.99.3b (Press and hold the "Power" and "X" buttons)
    The next few steps create a backup for yourself - just in case. The Installation of the ROM will do so as well - so this is optional.
    Select "Backup/Restore"
    Select "Advanced Nandroid Backup"
    Select ALL options for Backup (System, Data, Misc, Cache, Boot, Recovery)
    Name your backup whatever you want (This is a backup of your old OS, data, everything.)
    Select "Perform Backup"
    Return to the main SPRecovery Screen by pressing the "Power" button twice.
    Select "Install" from the menu in the main SPRecovery screen.
    Select "Choose ROM from SD card" from the menu.
    Choose the *.rom.tgz file you've just downloaded and placed in the root of your SD Card.
    Wait for SPRecovery to perform a backup and decompress the ROM...
    Follow the installation instructions and choose your preferred options.
    When it tells you that you are finished... you're done.
    Reboot and enjoy.

Mike
  10. babybeluga

babybeluga New Member

I'm using mozilla firefox

I finally got my phone restored back to an old nandroid backup on smoked glassv4 maybe (I don't really know how to tell)
    I'll be willing to try the update as soon as i clear up a few things

-do you know where any video tutorials are on updating custom roms as opposed to just installing one?
    -Is the problem caused by me installing the roms on top of one another? do you have to uninstall a rom before updating?
    -Why is my SD card now damaged?
  11. mwhartman

[/quote]

I finally got my phone restored back to an old nandroid backup on smoked glassv4 maybe (I don't really know how to tell)

-do you know where any video tutorials are on updating custom roms as opposed to just installing one?

Search Droid Life and Youtube
    -Is the problem caused by me installing the roms on top of one another? do you have to uninstall a rom before updating?

Error 14 indicated that you had too many file extensions so I believe that was/is the issue. Some say you can install one rom over another. I believe the best approach is to wipe your data and cache. For me this provides a cleaner install and less problems.

What is causing you to say your SD card is damaged? Replacing a rom takes place on internal memory not your SD card.
    [/QUOTE]
  12. babybeluga

babybeluga New Member

Search Droid Life and Youtube

Error 14 indicated that you had too many file extensions so I believe that was/is the issue. Some say you can install one rom over another. I believe the best approach is to wipe your data and cache. For me this provides a cleaner install and less problems.

What is causing you to say your SD card is damaged? Replacing a rom takes place on internal memory not your SD card.
    [/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

How would I go about wiping my cache and data? I am on this old restore still and my phone only receives about 75% of texts sent.