Problems with ROM

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by sir2545, Feb 6, 2010.

1. sir2545

sir2545 New Member

Ok so I've tried and tried and tried to find out what I'm doing wrong to no avail. Ive downloaded all the files needed and moved them into the nandroid folder, and everytime i try to format SYSTEM: i get something about a bad block and when I try to install the ROM i get nandroid exited with status 21...can someone please help.
  2. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

Wait....you don't download anything and put it in the nandroid folder??
  3. sir2545

sir2545 New Member

the file for the Smoked Glass theme with white clock...I downloaded it and put it in the nandroid folder, but when i try to "restore" with that file i get "nandroid exited with status 21"? I dont know what im doing wrong, is the file supposed to be unzipped?
  4. blake2050

blake2050 New Member

Yes. Inside the nandroid folder create a new folder and just name it rom (for ease of tutorial). Unzip the downloaded nandroid backup and extract all the files to that rom folder you just made. It should be: boot.img, data.tar, system.tar nandroidmd5, and I think thats it. Now unmount your sdcard and reboot into recovery. Do a nandroid recover and choose the rom folder...Done.
  5. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

Ohhhh....I feel dumb now lol...I've never heard of anyone making another subfolder called ROMs inside the nandroid folder......but I mean if it works then hey, I didn't know that! But that seems to make it even more complicated to me...I would just extract the SmokedGlass-BRS file onto your desktop, then take the SmokedGlass-BRS-whatever folder that came out of that first file, and place in the nandroid folder on the sdcard....
  6. blake2050

blake2050 New Member

lol its the same thing nate. ALL of the backups you do with nandroid create a subfolder in the nandroid folder. I just told him to name it rom for easy referance in the tutorial. He can name it whatever he wants as long as he chooses that in the restore. "rom" was just conveinant. =)
  7. sir2545

sir2545 New Member

so you dont have to format SYSTEM: ???

To get this correct, i just reboot into recovery and select the updated ROM and install?
  8. blake2050

blake2050 New Member

No you dont have to format system. If you did exactly what I said then yea just reboot recovery and choose the file you made...well you dont choose the ROM you have to choose the folder that you placed those files in...
  9. sir2545

sir2545 New Member

are these file names not supposed to have spaces between the words, maybe thats what i did wrong....waiting on the phone to charge a little now and then I will give it a try. I redownloaded the Smoked Glass version 4 ROM without renaming it this time and placed it in the nandroid folder. I tried it without formatting SYSTEM: before but I renamed the file to "Smoked Glass". Hopefully thats all it is.. Ive been working on this all day just so i can have the blue theme.
  10. blake2050

blake2050 New Member

you cant just download it and put it in the nandroid folder. You have to extract the files from the download and put those in the nandroid folder...
  11. sir2545

sir2545 New Member

yes i did extract them. I left that part out. sorry
  12. blake2050

blake2050 New Member

then you should be fine...
  13. sir2545

sir2545 New Member

SUCCESS!! Thanks a lot blake, couldnt have done it without you....btw why does the tutorial recommend formatting SYSTEM: Is it just so youll have a clean slate. Thanks again