Problems With Recent Nightlies and RC4 on D1

brando56894

Reaction score
I have been using CM6 since the release of RC3 and stuff was working flawlessly. I decided to try the nightlies starting around the late 150s and everything was fine. Recently Ive been having a lot of problems with the builds past 169 (including rc4), for example problems with slacker, problems with widgets not loading, stuff not downloading from the market, general slowness, wifi not working at all, 3g dropping out a lot, etc..

I did upgrades keeping /data but wiping /system, /cache and /boot, clean installs (wiping each partition 2x), clean installs and restoring apps with TB and they all seemed to run crappy at one point or another. I usually used SlayHer's kernels but tried P3s and others, even the stock kernel but still got the same results. I wasnt using third party themes either. I love the new CM but cant stand these screw ups.

Has anyone else been experiencing these problems lately?

Last edited:

wingdo

Reaction score
I love the new CM but cant stand these screw ups.

I think that's why these are nightlies. They are by their very definition not ready for prime time.

I had the best luck with nightly 181. Give that one a go and see. It is definitely better than RC4 for me (although I am going to install 187 to see how that one goes).

droidkevlar

Reaction score
I had issues with RC4 as well. BT not connecting to car and compcache not working for me. I always do a fresh install. I am back to RC3. I have read that 185 is a solid nightly but have not tested for myself. Will test hopefully this weekend when I get some free time.

luv2golf

Reaction score
RC4 didn't work well for me but I have been running the nightlies from 184-187 with out wiping. I have yet to have any problems. I just wish there was a change log on the nightlies to see what the differences are between builds. I do use RM for the nightlies only so I get the gapps each time. Tried it once without the gapps and had problems w/google apps.

OP
B

brando56894

Reaction score
obviously you had problems with google apps if you didnt have gapps, theyre the same thing.

I just completely wiped my droid (even the sdcard!) and flashed nightly 187. Its restoring the apps now, lets see how it turns out to be.

luv2golf

Reaction score
I was under the impression that you only have to flash gapps once with nightlys then not again if you are changing builds. I don't wipe when going from one to the next but I have to reflash gapps every time.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Flashing the app pack updates your Google apps to the latest versions -- they don't update from the Market like they should otherwise, it seems.

OP, are you flashing your new kernel before or after you boot to the home screen?

B

budmonster

Flashing the app pack updates your Google apps to the latest versions -- they don't update from the Market like they should otherwise, it seems.

OP, are you flashing your new kernel before or after you boot to the home screen?

In my other post you said "Nope. Just flash the ROM, don't flash the apps, and you'll be fine. Make a backup just in case, though. Sometimes the flashes or the nightlies don't always play nice, at least not the first time."

I'm currently on rc4 and im going to download the latest nightly from RM and see if it fixes my cam problems. 2 questions: Do i need to download the GAPPS to from RM. Also, do I need to check the wipe button on RM before I flash. I really hope not, b/c I dont want to rrestore my apps again.

dpaine88

Reaction score
I love the new CM but cant stand these screw ups.

I think that's why these are nightlies. They are by their very definition not ready for prime time.

I had the best luck with nightly 181. Give that one a go and see. It is definitely better than RC4 for me (although I am going to install 187 to see how that one goes).

x2, Wasn't sure if it was just me. The 181 nightly is where its at!dancedroid

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint

In my other post you said "Nope. Just flash the ROM, don't flash the apps, and you'll be fine. Make a backup just in case, though. Sometimes the flashes or the nightlies don't always play nice, at least not the first time."

I'm currently on rc4 and im going to download the latest nightly from RM and see if it fixes my cam problems. 2 questions: Do i need to download the GAPPS to from RM. Also, do I need to check the wipe button on RM before I flash. I really hope not, b/c I dont want to rrestore my apps again.
That's right, I did, and I stand by it. You don't need to flash every single time. If there's an update, flash it if you want, but if you're happy with the apps the way they are you don't need to.

If you check, the app pack is updated on average of approximately every two weeks. Why risk having something go haywire on a flash every night when the apps are exactly the same as it was? :)

B

budmonster

Also, there are two CM 6.1 RC4 roms in Rom Manager. Just a mistake? Or is one the official 6.1?

OP
B

brando56894

Reaction score
After I wiped everything and flashed Nightly 187 with SlayHer's 1.1GHz kernel everything is running very well.