Problems with my new Eris

wyzzerdd

Reaction score
Youtube isn't working at all, it says its not able to play the video but when I use the browser and go to youtube.com the video plays but the sound doesn't work.

When I surf the web the webpage will scroll up to the top randomly, this is very irritating when trying to read something. I was going to try an alternative web browser but the ones I saw had bad reviews. Is there one that doesn't suck?

Wifi doesn't work, theres no option to scan for networks only to input the ssid manually which I tried but it says I'm out of range. I tried an app which was able to find my network and even said it connected but the web browser was still using 3G and the settings page still said I was out of range and not connected.

Battery life is horrible, I only get maybe 2 hours of web browsing and or using the camera before it dies.

OP
wyzzerdd

wyzzerdd

Reaction score
After calling HTC I've found out that the youtube problem is being worked on and will eventually be fixed.
The web browser problem is that I have to wait a long time before trying to read the page because it hasn't fully loaded yet. When its done it goes back up to the top which is really annoying but oh well I guess.

hortonj54

Reaction score
If you go to settings->wireless-> and uncheck the mobile network the phone will stop trying to use it and defer to your wifi. This will also GREATLY improve battery life.

As far as a browser I recommend using Dolphin. I too was annoyed by waiting for the browser to load up the full page, on Dolphin it will not take you to the top, but whatever isn't loaded on the page obviously wont be visible yet.

Dolphin will not however play any video that is not a youtube video. Somewhat annoying but if you really need to see a video go back to the stock browser and see if t will play it.

OP
wyzzerdd

wyzzerdd

Reaction score
I havn't had much luck getting any other video site besides youtube working on the default browser. I tried Opera lite and it has such a horrible interface along with touch screen control issues.
Is there a reason youtube only works? I wonder if droid locks everything else out forcing you to use googles video service only.

hortonj54

Reaction score
I think it has to do with the limitations of the HTC flash player. And there are many types of video formats out there. Youtube works because it is something called an HTML5 format, I read about this just recently so I may be mistaken. Anyway, having even a small amount of video options outside of youtube is better than some phones that can play absolutely none.